Help Me Choose - Molly Platy Guppy Endler?

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have some space in a few of my tanks and am wondering if experienced livebearer folks could help guide me to the right fish.

I've done some reading but I would really love to hear from livebearer keepers as to why they love a certain species and ask if they feel any particular livebearer would be a good fit in any of my tanks.

I'm looking for colour, mid-dwelling, peaceful, and active without being hyper.

Also wondering if I'm best off with all males or all females (I've nowhere to rehome babies but maybe they would just be eaten?).

Tank 1: 55 gallon densely planted, temp 74F, with 5 bolivian rams, 12 kuhli loaches, 11 harlequin rasboras. Is there room and would any livebearers be especially compatible?

Tank 2: 30 gallon high, moderately planted, temp 73F with 1 bolivian ram (affectionately named Dink) and 9 panda corys.

Tank 3: 30 gallon high, lightly planted for the moment, temp 76F with 1 dwarf gourami in quarantine (only inhabitant)

I have 9 flame tetras also in quarantine and not sure where I'm putting them yet but it will likely be Tank 2.

Thanks for any advice!

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies/endlers/mosquitofish might be loach food, the fry definitely would be.

Mollies and Platies may be compatible, and the loaches would still keep the fry under control.
My wife likes the Sailfin Mollies (she scowls at me when I take 1 for a cycling), I'm more of a Mosquitofish person. Lots of people like Swordtail Platies.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my tanks has a few male endlers, of many different colors/types, including some yellow tigers. I love the diversity, the engagement at feeding time, but generally passive nature. So that’s where my $0.02 lies.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bitseriously said:
One of my tanks has a few male endlers, of many different colors/types, including some yellow tigers. I love the diversity, the engagement at feeding time, but generally passive nature. So that’s where my $0.02 lies.
I have heard some lovely things about endlers. What temp do you keep yours at? I'm gathering that like guppies, an all male group wouldn't be problematic. I'd not heard the same of mollys but would like to hear experience over what I see on some sites.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollies have individual personalities, and gender bias doesn't really make much of a difference IME. I've lost more at the mouths of females I think, but I have more females than males, so...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom