Help Me Choose How To Stock It 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Hawklady, Apr 14, 2018.

?

Which tank would you do?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2018.
  1. Chock full o' color

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Mad science experiment

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Hawklady

Hawklady New Member Member

Hello everyone! I'm stocking a 55 gal tank (in the process of setting it up so, plenty of time to decide).

This is my very first aquarium so I have done a ton of research. My original idea was to make a super colorful tank that would be fun for my kids.

However, the more I researched the more I became drawn to an idea that will be the total opposite of my original plan.

So, let me know what you think. Any other advice is totally welcome too.

Tank 1: "chock full o' color"

6x emerald green cory
    10x cherry shrimp
    20x cardinal tetra
    6x various guppies

Tank 2: "mad science experiment"

6x three lined cory
    7x Indian glassfish
    5x upside down catfish

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Both stocking lists look fine to me, but I personally like the idea of number one.
    Go with what you feel is best!

3. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 Valued Member Member

Number two is more interesting, but I also like one

4. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

Thanks for the responses!

Honestly, I'm thinking with my tax refund next year I might just do whatever one I don't do now because I love both and really can't decide.

So I figured, why not ask the internet what they think?

5. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 Valued Member Member

maybe you could do one, then if you have enough money later, you could do the other

6. seth rodgers

seth rodgers Valued Member Member

I would do one. Even though two has more interesting species you don't see everyday, one will be more colorful schooling fish which will look very cool swimming around with their bright vibrant colors.

What size tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

55 gallon. It's not the typical dimensions though. It's 36 long and deeper than typical.

8. seth rodgers

Yeah i would definitely say one

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I just thought you might want to go with option number one because it's got a bit more fish and more activity.

10. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone!

11. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

I would do number one. You can bump the corys up to ten to twelve if you want to, they will appreciate the larger numbers.

12. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

I'm a bit worried about my cory choice. I may have to choose a different species because finding even 6 emeralds may prove difficult and I know they won't like any less than that.

Will they care if they are the same species cory? Can I mix and match or should I stay same species for them? I know I read tetra won't school as well unless I stay with one kind.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  13. seth rodgers

It is better to get the same species but if not it should be fine

14. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

Corys also need large groups of single species. Other temperature compatible option are sterbai or bronze corys.

15. OP
    OP
    Hawklady

Thank you for the heads up. I'm on a waiting list to be emailed if emeralds come in but warned that when they do come in it may not be six, which worried me. Will check out a few other places.

Again, I'm in no rush to stock it. I know Cardinals require drip acclimation and such. Figured I would start with guppies if I went this route and then start to add slowly from my other choices to avoid a nitrogen spike.

Am worried about the cardials a bit too as none of my LPS have them. I'd have to order from liveaquaria. Having to pay for overnight ship, I'd probably be inclined to want to get all 20 at once... would that be too much to add to the tank at one time?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice