Help Me Choose Between Two Aquascapes

Mudminnow

I have a 150 gallon tank on its way (60"x24"x24"). I have the hardscape materials. But, I have two separate plans, and I like them both.

The first sketch is a plan for a warm, slow water tank. It will have fish like gouramis and rasboras. And, it will have stem and carpeting plants with a water lily.

The second sketch is a plan for a cooler water, fast flow tank. It will have fish like barbs, danios, and loaches. And, it will be dominated with cryptocorynes.

The tank will be right smack in the middle of my living space. So, aesthetics matter. Both options will be high tech, but I'll be using my hard tap water--no RO.

So, which plan would you go with: sketch 1 or sketch 2? Why?

Attachments

• SlowWaterTank.jpg
    SlowWaterTank.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 74
  • FastWaterTank.jpg
    FastWaterTank.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 76

jinjerJOSH22

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that paper is going to get soggy if you put in the water.....

I shockingly prefer the first idea, with a group of Pearl Gourami. They'll look stunning swimming under the lotus leaves on the surface
I would also include a large group of Zebra Loaches in the mix, they have such wonderful behaviour in a group.

Upvote 0

juscallmej

i would go with sketch 1. just my preference. nicer looking tank with more colorful fish and plants. what are you planning to carpet with since its such a deep tank?

Upvote 0

shrimpyay

Both options look awesome, and I'll admit that I love the idea of how the longer plants drifting in the "stream" current would look.

But if it were me, I'd go for sketch 1. I think water lilies are lovely plants, and you'd have the possibility of getting flowers above water if you allowed it, which is nice. I also think you'll have a greater variety of plants in terms of color, texture, and size, which I personally just find visually appealing. To me the greater diversity would be more attractive.

That said, both are gorgeous designs. My SO says that the lilies would be beautiful if they could flower, but he prefers the faster stream tank, saying the movement of the plants could be really interesting to watch. Either will look wonderful though!!

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Both are great designs. I am having a similar dilemma with my 75g. My guess is that you did things like option 1 before. Option 2 might be a new experience. I would consider some rocks for option 2.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

i would go with sketch 1. just my preference. nicer looking tank with more colorful fish and plants. what are you planning to carpet with since its such a deep tank?
I would probably use dwarf hair grass. I have more experience growing it than most other carpeting plants. So, I feel a bit more confident with it.

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I have a 150 gallon tank on its way (60"x24"x24"). I have the hardscape materials. But, I have two separate plans, and I like them both.

The first sketch is a plan for a warm, slow water tank. It will have fish like gouramis and rasboras. And, it will have stem and carpeting plants with a water lily.

The second sketch is a plan for a cooler water, fast flow tank. It will have fish like barbs, danios, and loaches. And, it will be dominated with cryptocorynes.

The tank will be right smack in the middle of my living space. So, aesthetics matter. Both options will be high tech, but I'll be using my hard tap water--no RO.

I like sketch 1 a lot more, depending on how warm it really is you could put all the fish from sketch 2 with em. Also, if you're gonna have that big of a tank may I suggest Oscars and other Cichlids?

Upvote 0

TClare

Both options are good, but personally I prefer no. 1, mainly because of the plant selection.

Upvote 0

Galactica555

Sketch one, Imo

Upvote 0

LouPey

Number 1 for me. I like the sound of the plants and gouramis/rasboras. I think it sound like it'll look more bright and uplifting too!

Upvote 0

JeremyW

I'll go with the crowd and say #1. I like gouramis and rasboras better than the other selection. And I'm not the biggest fan of crypts.

Upvote 0

babykitten

I would do the first one

Upvote 0

ButaSoQ

i would go with sketch 2.....

Upvote 0

Quiche

I like sketch #2 better. Large coldwater tanks are a rarity compared to tanks like #1, and I'd be interested in seeing a crypt paradise. I agree with veggiesharks too, #2 would look even cooler. But you said it's smack dab in the middle of a living space, and aesthetics matter? In that case, I think we'll need a panaroma of the room to truly decide ツ

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

Depends what kind of a feeling you want in that room, sketch 1 one give a warm relaxing feeling whereas sketch 2 will give a fun exciting feeling! I love both ideas but I am slightly biased towards sketch 2 since danio choprae are my favourite

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
lunanightlock
  • Question
Replies
Views
Devosia
Replies
Views