help me choose a filter for my ten gallon

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by kaitlin4599, Jul 27, 2015.

1. k

kaitlin4599 Valued Member Member

ok so i have a 10 gallon aquairium dont have fish in it yet as im still cycling it. and the in tank filter that came with the tank sux so i have decided to upgrade and i need some help. i have deicded to put a 20 gallon filter in my 10 gallon tank for various reason which i wont bore u with any how i have narrowed my choices down to these 2 brands and these 2 filters which is best and why.

from my research it look the the marineland bio wheel filter has no flow control nob idk will this be an issue if i have fish that require gentler water?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Plax-C...417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4a4f73d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marineland-...-20-gallons-/271817207893?hash=item3f49917055

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't have experience with the Penn Plax brand, but I have a Marineland Penguin biowheel for my 55 gal. I really like it! I had a small issue with the spinner piece on the inside, but I called the company and they sent me a replacement for free.

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I would definitely go with the Marineland Penguin. As TexasDomer pointed out they have good customer service. I have the 150 model on my 20 gallon and it works great.

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I have had lots of Marineland filters throughout the years and like them. The last forever, and are quiet. I know people will say the bio wheel will stop. Of all the ones I have had, this has never been a problem for me. They do slow down. And sometimes don't turn for awhile, but as long as the water is touching them, they are filtering your water. The biggest disadvantage to them is the cartridges. When I used them, I bought this rather than replacing the pricey cartridges all the time. http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA...6&sr=8-1&keywords=rite-size+bonded+filter+pad Cut it and stuff it into the compartment where the cartridges go.

If you feel like you want to keep using carbon like the cartridges they come with, then you can save the frames to the cartridges, cut the top filter to make a slit in it, and refill that with carbon.

I have no experience with the Penn Plax.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Penn Plax makes some excellent canister filters that are fairly affordable compared to Fluval and Eheim. They're almost the same price as SunSun. Anyway, if their canisters are good, I'm pretty sure their HOBs are at least decent. They have similar design to AquaClear at a cheaper price.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. T

ThatOneAquarist Valued Member Member

I feel out of place responding here as so many more experienced very helpful people already have, but in my experience the penguins are great filters had a penguin 100 on a 29 gallon (wasn't aware it was a 29 I was told it was a 20 at the time) it kept the water clear, and that was long before I did water changes or check parameters so that says something, the same penguin (three years later) is on my 55 gallon helping out the soon-to-be-replaced extra-loud topfin 75 (penguin is silent next to that thing). Just do as @BDpups said so you don't have to spend extra money, Good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice