Help! Male lyretail guppy swimming erratically

AGuppylover

I just added a male lyretail guppy to my 40 gallon freshwater tank. I have around twenty other guppies in there, and they all are doing fine with no signs of stress or disease. After acclimating it, (for around two hours) I released it into the tank but noticed immediately that it was acting strangely. Without warning, it started darting about ,crashing into everything and seeming to have no objective to were it was going. that only went on for a couple seconds, and then it fell to the bottom and rested at the base of a plant. It didn't try to swim much, but when he did it would swim in a tight circle around itself, twitching slightly while floating upwards. After a couple seconds it thrashed around again and fell back to the bottom. We put it into a quarantine tank, thinking it might have a nervous disease. It mostly stays still, floating at the water's surface and pressing up against the side of the tank for support. It seems to be gasping, and shivering constantly. We had to put a lid on the tank, because every so often it will have a episode, swimming uncontrollably and thrashing about, even leaping out of the water and sometimes out of the tank. I tried feeding it this morning, it looked fairly calm, every once and a while I notice it acting perfectly normal for a second. When it saw the food, it didn't make a move for it at first, but eventually tried, and it looked as though it had no control over which direction it was swimming in. it would swim backward and shiver, sinking to the bottom of the tank and then bobbing up to the surface. At first it wasn't so bad, but it seemed to escalate until it had another episode, and I had to put the lid back on to avoid it from thrashing right out of the tank. We got him from PetSmart, and I didn't see anyone else acting strange in his tank. I've done some research, but still no clue, maybe a bad case of Shivers? I have heard fancy guppies are sensitive to changes in water parameters, but I acclimated him properly, and I can't change the PH or hardness just for him. If the difference in water parameters is the problem, will he just get better on his own? Do you think it would be alright to let him out into the main tank? I just did a water test and my KH is 40 GH 30 PH 8.0 ( quick note on the PH I can't tell weather the color matches 7.4 or 8.0, but it has always been the same tone, so whichever it is know it is constant. I have never experienced a change in my PH reading.) Ammonia 0.0-0.25 Nitrite 0.0 Nitrate 5.0. I test roughly once or twice a week. I perform weekly 30% water changes and I am doing one today, so that is the highest reading of nitrate I get. I also change the water in the quarantine tank daily.

josieposie

Hi there! I haven't had experience with guppies, but my tetra acted like this for a day or two when I introduced him to a new tank, but he completely calmed down after that. I'm not sure what caused it, but maybe your guppy is just stressed for some reason. If your water parameters are all fine then there's nothing you can do except leave him in the main tank to hopefully settle in! Hope this helps :)

AGuppylover

Thanks so much! It's been a couple days and he is in the main tank now. For a while he just hid because the other male guppies in my tank were harassing him because he was still pretty weak and wouldn't stand up for himself. Now he is doing better, and wile he has not completely recovered, he is swimming around more and is showing mild interest in food. The others are still bullying him, but not as much because he is starting to stand up to them more. I think all they need is for him to show them who is boss and they will accept him and leave him alone. Sort of like a test. Thanks again!

AGuppylover

Hello, I have another question about that same fish. I have noticed something strange to do with his coloring and that leads me to believe he might be a spectrum guppy. First of all, his eyes seemed to be two- toned at times. I am not sure if it is common, but the top half of both his eyes seem to be silver, while the bottom half is brown. I don't know if I have ever seen his eyes all brown, but I have defiantly seen them all silver. Also, he is a lyretail guppy, so the edges of his tail fin is blue while the middle is clear, so it looks like his tail fin is made up of two strips. His tail seems to always have a different shade of blue, ranging from almost white or clear, to vivid sky blue. He sometimes also has a strip of green in his tail as well. Also, he has two spots on his body, they are natural coloring, not a disease. Sometimes these spots are just pinpricks and are a royal blue, and other times they are black, and much larger. When I first saw this I thought he was injured or sick, but I have inspected him closely and I don't think so. Also, though most of the time his dorsal fin is clear, I have seen a black spot there too. I was curious to find put if this was normal but after researching it, I am still unsure. I have read that guppies loose color when stressed, which is very possible, but he seems to be gaining colors too. I have also come across a type of guppy called a "spectrum guppy" but I have no idea how to know if he is one. Any ideas/theories? Could it just be the lighting? I'm super curious to hear what you guys think! Sorry I couldn't get very good pictures, he kept moving and the others were swimming in front of him.

Attachments

• PXL_20220501_212556046.jpg
    PXL_20220501_212556046.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220501_212558300.jpg
    PXL_20220501_212558300.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AGuppylover
Replies