Help Male Blue Ram Chasing Female

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by 4ftaqauriumman, Apr 23, 2017.

1. 4ftaqauriummanNew MemberMember

I purchased a pair of blue rams yesterday from my LFS.
    They settled in quite nicely and were following each other around the tank.

But when I checked in on them today the male ram is chasing the female aggressively around the tank, and he won't stop.
    The female ram is a lot smaller than the male.

Could someone please tell me why the male is doing this? And do you guys think I should seperate them?
    Thanks

781f2552c073fc9f8e414368f333f084.jpg

Here is a photo of the pair

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Trying to mate maybe?

3. OP
    OP

4ftaqauriummanNew MemberMember

The male does corner her and then he seems to shake his body. Not sure what this means though

4. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

The sideways shimmy?

If he seems to be "showing off" to her...it is because he is trying to show her he is available for mating :) It sounds like this is what he is doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  5. OP
    OP

It's been awhile now and I'm pretty sure my rams have not paired.
    My male keeps pecking the gills of the female and then he chases her around non stop.
    She has also become very dark with stripes appearing on her. Her fins around her gills were also torn because of the male. I put him in a breeding box for a day and then let him out but he has continued to attack her.

Should I purchase a new female while keeping the old one in hope that he will bond with her?

Or should I get a new male to put in with the existing pair?

6. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

I had this issue, but the reverse. If you do not separate them, he will eventually kill her.

7. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

she might not be old enough to mate if she is still a juvie. If you have another tank i would seperate th until shes a bit bigger and try again before getting another female

8. OP
    OP

Do you think this is why the male is displaying aggression towards her?
    Because she is too young to mate?
    I thought that rams sometimes just don't get along.

9. OP
    OP

If I do get another female will this cause problems if there are two in the tank?

10. mdarken

mdarkenNew MemberMember

I have had exactly the same problem. I had a pair, think they ended up both being male. They smaller 1 ended up being chased up to darkness then death. The bullyboy has developed quite large & very beautiful. We got a female (this time very certain she's a girl) she settled in wonderfully for about 2/3 days and I think she may have even been laying eggs, however today he has started chasing nonstop & she was getting dark. Be have separated her for now

11. mdarken

mdarkenNew MemberMember

12. OP
    OP

I ended up getting another female which stoped the males agression towards the other female, she paired up with the male and they have just had their first spawn.

13. ludezValued MemberMember

I'll tell you what your Rams are nice!

14. mdarken

mdarkenNew MemberMember

Great news!! Good stuff. Please keep us posted if the pair the. Show aggression towards the 3rd wheel female?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice