Help make decisions, time to stock 75gal!- ITS TIME. Whoop whoop!

1. MissyRay Member Member

Hi All,

My 75 is coming along in its fishless cycle, I'm burning through ammonia, nitrites are high and nitrates are coming up nicely. I don't think it will be too long now and I've got decisions to make.

I've narrowed things down (unless someone has better suggestions) and now just need to pick from there.

Your input is totally appreciated!!!

First here's my specs:
    -75gallon,
    -2 AC100s (may add a sponge filter to be my transfer filter for quarantine tank),
    -stock LED light which I plan to upgrade shortly to the fluval LED plant light 2.0 because I'm trying live plants and they are fairly ed at the moment.
    -- Hard water high GH/KH, high and solid ph between 8.2 and 8.4

Plans:

-centerpiece: 3 juvie very small blood parrots (considering actually starting with more like 5 then rehoming 3 of the 5 as they grow and I discover personalities... Thoughts? They are such slow growers I don't think I would overstock this way but your thoughts are appreciated. Long term plan to end up with 2)

-a large school of cories are a definite and non-negotiable. But given my water a slow drip acclimation will be needed and open to suggestions on hardiest variety comfortable with temp around 77-78 (peppered or Sterbai?)

-a nerite snail or 2 cause they're cute :)

- some nice big school of something? Ahh, this is where I'm stumped! Current thoughts that would work are gold barbs, lemon or serape tetra, zebra danio, or boesemani rainbows. I was hesitant on the boesemani because I've never had rainbow fish before and they seem kinda bigger than I'd like which limits the number I can keep as well, hesitant on the gold barbs cause they're barbs, hesitant on the zebra danios cause they're soooo common and I do like the lemon and serape tetras but hesitant on serpae because it's more red (got that in the BP) and hesitant on the lemon because I can't tell if they are as pretty as I think they might have potential to be and don't want them to blend in with the sand and natural colors I've got going on even though background is black)

Ok so that's where I'm at and I would love some help. I've included a picture of my tank as it stands today.... Empty and lonely and longing for fish!!! (Pardon the glare, mid-day and I can't get around it) [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Your tank looks lovely :)
    If you're wanting discus then the rest of the fish you choose will have to be compatible with the high temperature discus prefer.
    For the corys peppered wouldn't be suitable as they're a cool temperature cory, sterbai would be the best option as they like warmer temps, many discus keepers have sterbai as tankmates,
    Zebra danios would be a no go as they prefer cool temperatures.
    I've not kept the others you've mentioned so will let others advise on those.

3. MissyRay Member Member

Thanks, I was leaning towards Sterbai cories so good to know the difference between the 2

I won't be keeping discus tho, blood parrot cichlids would be the main fish

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oops, where did I get discus from? , my brain obviously isn't working well this evening!

5. MissyRay Member Member

Too many posts to keep up with ;)

6. MissyRay Member Member

Hey everyone, anyone else have some input? Would appreciate any feedback ;)

7. Daniel W Member Member

For the schooling fish, it depends on what you want next. Do you want color, or just a plain, hardy schooling fish? If you just want a schooling fish I would recommend bloodfin tetras or rummynoses.

8. MissyRay Member Member

I do like the rummynose, pretty cute. And yes looking for schooling but pretty as well would be great. A quick search says soft to neutral water, which mine clearly isn't... Are they pretty hardy in which they would/should adapt?

9. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Rummynose will adapt to most pH and GH/kH, they're pretty hardy fish. Is your water over-the-top hard or just more basic than expected?

As said earlier, peppered like colder water than most tropical fish, so I'd stick with sterbai's for a warm water tank.

I think Blood Parrots are really cool, but I would go for your first idea of only 3, and then if one is getting bullied or doesn't work out you can rehome it. I would just be careful, they can be aggressive fish. They may not bite or stealthily attack your other fish, but they can ram pretty hard!

10. MissyRay Member Member

It's just very basic. I don't think it's insane. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Ok will just go with 3, was hoping I could get away with more so I could really have my choice of personalities but I don't want to risk overstocking the tank so I'll play it safe.

11. MissyRay Member Member

Holy cow! Very excited! Pretty sure I fishing the cycle overnight. Ammonia zero, nitrItes dropped to zero, nitrAtes between 40 and 80. Just dosed ammonia again and will see what it looks like in the morning but I think it's time for a huge water change and adding fish!

Still open to suggestions for a schooling fish, or anything else that would go well with BPs and cories :)

Also, should I worry about my water parameters? Ph is steady between 8.2 and 8.4, GH is around 4 and KH is super high at 18 drops to get the color change!

12. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

The water sounds fine. If you wanted to start with 4 or 5 blood parrots I think it would be fine while they are juveniles. You would just have to be comfortable upgrading the tank later on or rehoming 1 or 2 as 3 would probably be the max in there once full grown.

You can also do aeneus cories. They get large for cories and also do well in warm water. They also come in 3 color variants so you could have a variety if you chose. But sterbai are very pretty.

For your BP's you are going to want to keep the temps around 80 for best overall health. Also I wouldn't do rummynose tetras as they are slender bodied and would eventually (we are talking years down the road) would likely become snacks for the BP's. I thought of these for my schooling fish for my BP tank I'm about to start setting up and found loads of images of rmmynose tetras hanging out of BP's mouths. So I wouldn't do those. They aren't the hardiest tetra either. When I was looking for a schooling fish, the ones I really liked are lemon tetras (these do become beautiful once they get used to their surroundings), diamond tetras (the ones I am currently going to use), tiger barbs, praecox rainbows, and black ruby barbs.

With 2 or 3 blood parrots, cories, and a schooling fish, I'd say you have room for some dwarf cichlids or a medium sized cichlid as well. A single rainbow, sajica, or bandit cichlid would do well. A pair of keyholes or bolivian rams (although this may be a bit warm for them) would do well. I'd also say you probably have room for something at the top like a few platies or maybe a thicklip gourami as well.

13. MissyRay Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the aeneus shortly. Yes that makes sense on the rummynose, I'll look at their lifespan too but the lemon or others seem like maybe the better choice.

I had thought about a few livebears like platies and allowing nature to provide some live food for the BPs but I was worrying about overstocking. Perhaps so much I am shorting myself. I really like the Rams so i'll research that a little more.

Question on the rainbow, I feel like I read they need to be kept in a school. Is that not the case?

The bandit is pretty cool looking, going to check out specs on that too. Pretty sure I've never seen that before.

14. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Yes, rainbows should be kept in schools :) I'm very excited to see your new fishes whenever you get them. I don't even have the sand for my 75g, so I'm living through you!

15. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You probably saw that on aqadvisor. For some strange reason it has rainbow cichlids as a schooling fish which it is not.

I would do all male platies still. If your BP's are not inclined to eat the babies then you may have a problem on your hands. Plus there is no sense in stressing the females out with births if you don't want the babies.

16. MissyRay Member Member

Ok that's good to know, saved me from some googling. Well since probably none of us get ALL the tanks and fish we would love to have we all lived vicariously through each other.

I planned to stock all at once which I had always done in the past. BUT I think I may have several sources for my fish this time. If I only use the one local place that's fantastic btw is it ok to put them in at once? Meaning no quarantine? But then if I order any quarantine those?

17. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Oh dear, I speed-read and I thought you were talking about rainbowfish as in Melanotaenia. Sorry about that :)

18. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm a big believer in stocking a tank slowly. To me it's less stressful for the bacteria and if you identify a problem then it only potentially harms a fraction of your fish instead of your entire stock. Now I know fish like african cichlids have reasons to stock all at once but I personally prefer taking my time.

19. MissyRay Member Member

tyguy7760 True for sure on African cichlids, I guess otherwise it's sort of a matter of opinion isn't it?

I'm not sure I see much of a point in fishless cycle if you don't add at once, because now your beneficial bacteria that is unused dies off and each time you add it must create more. Doesn't that cause a mini cycle each time?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or at least impart your opinion on that one. I can see how it is more fun to add along the way though.

20. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Medicating a whole 75 gallon tank would be difficult if something goes wrong, so I'd qt personally. Plus isn't it fun to plan what you're getting next?