Help HELP! major algae during cycling

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
I am currently cycling a 15 gallon long tank without fish. It’s been cycling for 2 days now and it’s going through a major algae bloom. the algae is all over the mopani wood, plants, glass and gravel. it looks like hair algae, and just the average algae. The lighting is very strong so i can see why, but i can’t add floating plants as my filter blows them away and off the surface. My question is: should i scrub the algae EVERYDAY or should i wait until the algae bloom is ‘done’ before removing it? i don’t want a completely green tank

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It would save you a lot of labor if you wait until the bloom is finished, but if you want the tank to look good during the bloom it won't hurt to.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Thinking about coming up with a ryhme that welcomes new members, hmm........

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticQueen said:
It would save you a lot of labor if you wait until the bloom is finished, but if you want the tank to look good during the bloom it won't hurt to.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Thinking about coming up with a ryhme that welcomes new members, hmm........
Welcome to the forum were we never bore em, people askin questions an gettin direction.....algae bloom you would assume was caused by cycling and not your lumes, turn the lights out and kill the mood!......????

wishuponafish

Reaction score
bubblebettas said:
I am currently cycling a 15 gallon long tank without fish. It’s been cycling for 2 days now and it’s going through a major algae bloom. the algae is all over the mopani wood, plants, glass and gravel. it looks like hair algae, and just the average algae. The lighting is very strong so i can see why, but i can’t add floating plants as my filter blows them away and off the surface. My question is: should i scrub the algae EVERYDAY or should i wait until the algae bloom is ‘done’ before removing it? i don’t want a completely green tank
I would get as much of it out as you can and keep the lights off or on a short timer while you're cycling.

californiascape

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can you raise the light higher above the tank? That will increase its intensity. How long do you keep it on per day?

OP
thatfishlover122

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
wouldn’t it affect my plants to have to have shorter light time? and also would it be ok if natural light was there or should i drape a towel over the tank?

i can’t sadly, it’s on a lid which connects to the glass. i keep the lights on for about 8 hours everyday just like the average aquarium

Thank you, i’ll probably give it a scrub every week until i can put fish/snails in (i’ll be having 4 nerites go in there!). And yes, a rhyme would be great!!

wishuponafish

Reaction score
bubblebettas said:
wouldn’t it affect my plants to have to have shorter light time? and also would it be ok if natural light was there or should i drape a towel over the tank?
It depends, what plants do you have? You don't have to black it out unless it's by a window or something because it's not worth trying to completely eradicate algae at this point, but many low-light plants do just fine in ambient light for a while and it will help with the algae.

OP
thatfishlover122

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
i’m sorry but i literally cannot name my plants (i know, basically every tank owner can but i bought mine in bulk from my lps and just wanted plants lol). I know that there’s two lobelia cardinales, some relative of anubias and some relative of java fern. there’s also a quite a few others. i could attach some photos of the plants as you may recognise them? bear in mind there’s algae all over them

wishuponafish

Reaction score
The cardinal might suffer if you keep the lights completely off but the others you mentioned will be fine with just natural light. You could start by toning down the light to 4 hours a day perhaps?

OP
thatfishlover122

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
Yes, today i've minimised it alot. I have an air stone in there, will this affect the plants also considering they have less light?

New Threads