Question Help, Lots Of Questions

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So lately ive been dealing with cyanobacteria and staghorn algae. I ordered chemI clean or chemI clear, whatever its called per recommendations by numerous people here. Also I know excel can help **** staghorn, but I haven't got that yet as I'm a bit nervous it will destroy my anacharis and hornwort. Also, I have another concern. My ph tap is 8.2. I tested both tanks before water changes yesterday and the ph is 7.6. I will fill a bucket with tap tonight and let it sit and test tomorrow and see what the ph is at. I guess my question is why does the ph drop so much in the tanks? I do atleast 50-60% water changes weekly, my water is hard, I am using carbon cartridges but dumped out the old carbon until I can switch to sponges. I'm just struggling a bit with why this is all happening and how to get things balanced. Is it something with my water? High phosphates? Something else? My fish are all healthy and normal but I'm just a bit irritated. I know I can get rid of the cyano and staghorn but I'm afraid itll all come back or there's something I'm missing...and is it ok my ph drops so much from tap to tank? I know ill prob have to do smaller more frequent changes in my tanks so I don't shock anyone but any advice is appreciated, if there's any to give. Thanks

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
do you have a GH/KH test kit? without knowing the KH can't really say why the pH is dropping in the tank.

the nitrogen cycle does create acids. using CO2 can create carbonic acid. driftwood can release a small amount of acids. if the KH is low, pH will drop. if KH is high it will buffer/counter the acid and keep pH stable.

OP
JamieLu

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
do you have a GH/KH test kit? without knowing the KH can't really say why the pH is dropping in the tank.

the nitrogen cycle does create acids. using CO2 can create carbonic acid. driftwood can release a small amount of acids. if the KH is low, pH will drop. if KH is high it will buffer/counter the acid and keep pH stable.
I don't have a kh test kit but I do have the test strips tho those aren't the most accurate but it says around 180 tho the color isn't exact...

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the KH is good.

we'll have to wait for the tap water to gas off overnight to see what it's true pH is.

OP
JamieLu

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well the ph went down, but not by much from 8.4 to 7.8 or 8 can't really tell. I don't know why it drops so much in the tank. Its at 7.4 or 7.6 in both tanks

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
are you using CO2?

any driftwood?

do you have enough surface agitation? higher levels of CO2 in the water due to low surface agitation can drop pH.

OP
JamieLu

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
are you using CO2?

any driftwood?

do you have enough surface agitation? higher levels of CO2 in the water due to low surface agitation can drop pH.
No driftwood, no co2 and I have a aquatech rated for a 60gal (my tank is 75gal) and a huge spong filter so both sides of the tank have surface agitation. Could it be that my hob filter just isn't doing a great job? The sponge filter kinda sucks too, mostly just wanted to supplement the hob since my 2nd one went out and I wanted to have enough flow/filtration around the tank....its incredibly understocked too. I have maybe 15-20 juvenile and baby platies til I get everythin stable.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom