Help! Loss Of Power

1. fishlover001

fishlover001 Well Known Member Member

Hi all,
    My house just lost power, and I do not know how long it will be out for. I would usually just wrap blankets around the tank, however it is 90° and rising outside. Also, I have to leave in an hour. What can I do to prepare my fish for This? I have not fed them. I hope everyone will be ok in the heat, especially because two of the tanks are on the second floor. Please Help!

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

If the tanks have risen in temperature, you can float cold water bottles, or ice inside of ziploc bags. Don’t directly dump cold water into the tanks.

This has worked for me when my power went out.

3. OP
    OP
    fishlover001

Ok, thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely try that!

4. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

yeah floating water bottles or ice will help with the heat for sure.

If you are able to get your hands on one I would also suggest a battery powered air pump. throw an airstone in there and let it run. this will help with some water movement and break the surface of the water to aid in gas exchange. I would not get super worried about this for a few hours though (dependant upon your stock).

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

If it's out for more than a few hours, put the filter media directly in the tank. If it's out for more than a day, dump out the water from the filters as it would have fouled. Look at the King of DIY's video titled "$2 oxygen"

6. AJ34

AJ34 Valued Member Member

I lost power yesterday while I was gone ...not sure how long , my tanks were all back on and up running no problem. Temp seemed the same so I assume not long. Hopefully it didn’t kill off any BB I did add some TSS just in case! Good luck, I hope everyone pulls through!

7. OP
    OP
    fishlover001

Apparently it was only for two hours, I was at work when in turned back on, and everything appears to be running, and there have been no casualties .

8. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

That's great. I'm glad everything worked out. It's always good to be prepared. I would suggest purchasing a battery-powered air pump, as suggested above.

9. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

Edited to rephrase: An oxydator might be a backup option but I have no experience with one. Perhaps someone who has used one can chime in because I think it could possibly be an alternative to a battery powered air pump.