Help losing fish every day

Stevo

Reaction score
I"m losing all my fish except my catfish and irr shark ive tested the ammonia and nitrate levels are no good ,i've been changing the water 30-40% changes three days in a row and the levels just won't come up normal,I had 2 adult mollies 4 baby mollies,2 guppies,
2 swordtail adults ,2 baby swordtails,2 glass fish,andall that is left is one male adult swordtail.They all before they died were mostly on the bottom looked like they were gasping for air,i;m very upset about this .Can anyone help me please.Ive been trying to get all the levels correct but it's very frustrtating.Any suggestions or answers?

Stevo

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I"m losing all my fish except my catfish and irr shark ive tested the ammonia and nitrate levels are no good ,i've been changing the water 30-40% changes three days in a row and the levels just won't come up normal,I had 2 adult mollies 4 baby mollies,2 guppies,
2 swordtail adults ,2 baby swordtails,2 glass fish,andall that is left is one male adult swordtail.They all before they died were mostly on the bottom looked like they were gasping for air,i;m very upset about this .Can anyone help me please.Ive been trying to get all the levels correct but it's very frustrtating.Any suggestions or answers?

30 gal tank
We had
2 adult black mollies
4 baby mollies about 3 months
2 swordtail
2 baby swordtail about 2 months
2 albino cats
2 cory cats
1 irred shark
2 glass cats
2 guppies

all that is left are
2 cory cats
1 albino cat
1 irre shark
1 swordtail
1 glass cat

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your ammonia and NitrItes (or nitrates?) are bad? You need to be doing 50% water changes 2x a day until ammonia is less than 0.50ppm. NitrItes are under 1.0ppm. and NitrAtes are under 20ppm.

Sorry about your fish.

Stevo

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 gal tank
We had
2 adult black mollies
4 baby mollies about 3 months
2 swordtail
2 baby swordtail about 2 months
2 albino cats
2 cory cats
1 irred shark
2 glass cats
2 guppies

all that is left are
2 cory cats
1 albino cat
1 irre shark
1 swordtail
1 glass cat

Stevo

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, do you think the fish i have left can be saved if i get the ammonia and nitrates levels good?
When i make the changes of water should i put in the nitite and ammonia remover medicine ,and I know too much food left on the bottom creates the ammonia. when and how often should i feed my remaining fish. thanks again for your help.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I would definatly treat the whole tank with that conditioner you have, what kind is it? Since they have survived this long, if you get their water parameters straightened out they should do fine. They are lucky that you have been changing their water, that is what has kept them alive. I would feed them once a day but only a very little. Make sure your glass cat eats because I have found mine will eat only when lights are dim, so now I feed all my fish when the lights are dim. Good luck,
Brianna

Stevo

Reaction score
amquel+ is the nitrate,nitrite,ammonia,chlorine &chloramines remover.What about my filter ? should i change the carbon filter often or does it matter? thanks for the tips.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most people take the carbon right out of their filter. I do. I am not sure if the carbon would stop the treatment from working. Do not change the sponge part of the filter. You will have to start the cycle all over again if you do. Amquel+ is a great product, but I would still keep up on the water changes.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT USING STRIPS TO TEST! They give you false readings.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm right there with you.. as I type this, I have what's left of a tank of fish fighting for their lives in various quarantine tanks.. in the space of a week and some, we lost our Aussie Blue Crawfish for no apparent reason and we've lost all our Cories, Rainbowfish, Guppies, 4 Barbs and a YoYo Loach to an outbreak of Ich that I can only attribute to the worst heatwave we've ever encountered living in the Caribbean, since we're spot-on with our tank maintenance and fishcare.. thankfully, the inhabitants of our other tanks are in great shape, but the ones we lost hit hard.. hope you can identify your problem sooner than later.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big is your tank? How long has it been running (it sounds like it's not cycled yet)? What were the numbers for your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

It sounds like ammonia poisioning and treating the water with prime or novaqua+ will help bring the ammonia down for the benefit of your remaining fish but the cause will still have to be figured out and fixed to get your tank back to safe levels.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This topic has been posted in three different sections. See my reply in the Freshwater fish diesease section.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This topic has been posted in three different sections, see my reply in the diesease section.

Stevo

Reaction score
i use the master kit tests,

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats great, you are perfectly fine then.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please don't post the same question/discussion in more than one place. By posting in one place all the answers and discussion is in one place and easier to assimilate. It also takes less time for the mods to go through the new posts and see what needs attention and what doesn't. If your unsure where to post then post in the most logical place and if it's not the right place one of the mods will move it for you, no problem.
Thanks
carol

Stevo

Reaction score
ok i'm sorry this was my first time here, now i know better,sorry

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As I said not a problem How are the fish today?
Carol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you taken readings today with your test kit? what are your numbers for ammonia & nitrites especially? how big is your tank and have you lost any more fish?

Stevo

Reaction score
mY TANK IS 30GAL Ivehad it forabout 6 months,I"M changing the water 2x a day and the levels are around the same not good but my remaining fish seem to be ok.im trying but it's very frustrating.mylevels are ammonia 1.0 nitrite 0.25,nitrate20,ph 6.6

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stevo said:
mY TANK IS 30GAL Ivehad it forabout 6 months,I"M changing the water 2x a day and the levels are around the same not good but my remaining fish seem to be ok.im trying but it's very frustrating.mylevels are ammonia 1.0 nitrite 0.25,nitrate20,ph 6.6
It does sounds like it's cycling with ammonia and nitrites.. i'd test it every couple days and track the ammonia and nitrites to see where in the cycle you are.. hopefully the ammonia will come down and the nitrites go up, but it sounds like a tank beginning the cycle and the ammonia may go up. The amquel+ could be part of the readings and helping the fish out. Is there anywhere near you that sells BioSpira? The fish that you have aren't the hardiest for a tank that's cycling and BioSpira would instantly cycle your tank.

Also, do you know anyone with a cycled tank? Would your LFS help you out with some filter sludge or gravel from cycled tanks?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom