Help!? Little white worm-looking specs on the walls of my tank! what are they?

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Allison Williams, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Allison Williams

Allison WilliamsNew MemberMember

My friend pointed out today that there are little white worm looking things sticking to the side of my tank! there are hundreds! i just want to be sure they arent parasites or something i should be worried about!

I just did a water change 2 days ago. Before that i had been treating the water with melafix because my betta had cloudy eye. the cloudy eye is gone thankfully. The water is 78*F ammonia is 0 nitrates are 20 nitrites are 0, pH is 7.0. everything seems to be normal with my fish so im not sure what these could be. and when i buy plants i make sure they are the snail free ones.

any idea what these could be. they are super tiny which is why i never noticed them but there are tons! and they do move on their own!

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

3. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Without any other info, it's probably planaria. They're related to tapeworms but aren't really a big deal. I wouldn't want them in my tank, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    Allison Williams

They are way too tiny to take a picture of. To give you an idea at first i thought it was just bubbles sticking to the side of the tank. My friend pointed out they were moving though. I did a little research on it and i think kidster9700 might be right about the worms being planaria. I scraped the sides of the tank, did another water change, and i have 3 small algae eating catfish that seem to be doing the trick. The number of worms i saw early today has greatly diminished already. A website i found told me that they are usually because of excess food in the gravel so im going to do a MAJOR gravel cleaning tomorrow!

Has anyone had experience with the planaria worms? how did you take care of the problem?

5. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

How old is your tank?

6. OP
    OP
    Allison Williams

this particular tank has been up and running for about 7 or 8 months.