Help! Little accident while cycling a tank!

DrogJustDrog

I heard that you could ideally put food in there to rot an release ammonia. Well- in a moment of newbie brilliance I poured a whole lot intending it to be a little bit right into the tank. Learned my lesson to use "a pinch" right there. It's been a few days and the flakes are still hiding at the bottom. I did get a gravel vacuum and cleaned out a whole bunch of them but I am still wondering what this might spell for my tank.

I did find these little brownish red worms and they concerned me. Are they detritus worms? I saw them referred to in an earlier post. There were about six or ten, and I feel a bit in over my head at this point!

UnknownUser

No fish in the tank right? You are fine. No worries at all! More food = more ammonia = more bacterial growth for the cycle. You don’t have to worry so much when doing a fishless cycle :) as for the worms, I’m not sure about that but again if there’s no fish don’t stress. Wait and see if they go away. I know detritus worms are harmless and typically go away as the cycle ages.

DrogJustDrog

Yeah, the tank is currently empty fish-wish. My main anxiety with it is how far the nitrate is going to rise with how much ammonia/nitrite is in there. As for the worms, I did manually gravel-vac them out and I think I got most if not all of them.

UnknownUser

High nitrate is fine. Before you add fish and after the cycle is complete just do a 90% water change. If it’s still high do another one the next day.

DrogJustDrog

Oh, okay thanks!

Top Bottom