Help! Kuhli Ill/dying?

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by Hannah M, Jul 31, 2017.

1. H

Hannah M New Member Member

i bought 6 kuhli from the LFS today (will get a few more later date) and one is out in the open and lying on its side. I know they behave oddly normally but this guy seems in distress to me. He is breathing quickly, laying still, wriggling fast a few seconds then still again. The others are just hidden away as I'd expect.

Added a pic below. Anyone had this with these guys before?

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Not normal at all, I don't think you will be able to do too much for it at this point.

The only thing I can think of to try is soaking it in a methylene blue bath. It acts as a sedative and can calm fish down as well as do a bit of detoxing for them. I believe that is what many fish are in when shipped, a weak Meth. blue solution.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Oh no :( poor little guy. I haven't got any of that. Do you think I should separate him from my other fish if he's going to go in case he's got anything nasty?

4. Demeter

I think his problem is stress related, seeing as you just bought and added them today. Usually you would want to quarantine any new fish in a secure tank, allowing the new fish to calm down, fatten up, and make sure they are disease free.

Separating him at this point will cause more stress. He might make a miraculous recovery if left alone, so just leave him be unless other fish are picking at him.

5. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah that's what I thought too. I would like to be able to quarantine but i just don't have the space/funds unfortunately. I'll put some stress coat and stress zyme in there and cross my fingers

6. OP
    OP
    H

Unfortunately he's died. The guy at the LFS had a job catching them so maybe he took a knock and then got too stressed :(

7. Demeter

That could be it, hopefully you are able to return it and get a refund of something. Sorry it didn't end well.

8. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

How did you acclimate them? As for quarentine you can do it pretty inexpensively and not a lot of space. You don't have to use a tank either. You can use a kritter keeper, a 5 gallon bucket, or tubberware container. Just put in a cheap sponge filter and heater.

9. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

i had 2 new ones out of 2 new ones die a few weeks ago because i didn't accumulate them over the time frame of an hour like i did with the 2 i replaced them with that are still fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice