Help! Kuhli Ill/dying?

1. H

Hannah M New Member Member

i bought 6 kuhli from the LFS today (will get a few more later date) and one is out in the open and lying on its side. I know they behave oddly normally but this guy seems in distress to me. He is breathing quickly, laying still, wriggling fast a few seconds then still again. The others are just hidden away as I'd expect.

Added a pic below. Anyone had this with these guys before?

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Not normal at all, I don't think you will be able to do too much for it at this point.

The only thing I can think of to try is soaking it in a methylene blue bath. It acts as a sedative and can calm fish down as well as do a bit of detoxing for them. I believe that is what many fish are in when shipped, a weak Meth. blue solution.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Oh no :( poor little guy. I haven't got any of that. Do you think I should separate him from my other fish if he's going to go in case he's got anything nasty?

4. Demeter

I think his problem is stress related, seeing as you just bought and added them today. Usually you would want to quarantine any new fish in a secure tank, allowing the new fish to calm down, fatten up, and make sure they are disease free.

Separating him at this point will cause more stress. He might make a miraculous recovery if left alone, so just leave him be unless other fish are picking at him.

5. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah that's what I thought too. I would like to be able to quarantine but i just don't have the space/funds unfortunately. I'll put some stress coat and stress zyme in there and cross my fingers

6. OP
    OP
    H

Unfortunately he's died. The guy at the LFS had a job catching them so maybe he took a knock and then got too stressed :(

7. Demeter

That could be it, hopefully you are able to return it and get a refund of something. Sorry it didn't end well.

8. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

How did you acclimate them? As for quarentine you can do it pretty inexpensively and not a lot of space. You don't have to use a tank either. You can use a kritter keeper, a 5 gallon bucket, or tubberware container. Just put in a cheap sponge filter and heater.

9. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtree Valued Member Member

i had 2 new ones out of 2 new ones die a few weeks ago because i didn't accumulate them over the time frame of an hour like i did with the 2 i replaced them with that are still fine.