55 Gallon Tank HELP!!Just switched from Gravel to Sand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richnyc

Reaction score
Ok-- so its been quite a journey since my 10gal tank. I now have a 55g tank with 3 oscars - pleco and Jeweled Cichlid. I recently converted my tank into sand and everything has gone wrong.

1.I had 2 Marineland Penguin 200 Power filters that went dead right after put the sand in. The filter was turned off when I put the sand in (YES I RINSED THE SAND). It seem that all that sand was settled. I tried running water but the filters wont come one anymore.

2.Very little sand still somehow float atop of the water. Its almost like bubble sand balls that wont go away.

3. Fish tank is still cloudy.

Since I removed all the water and gravel from the tank im going to assume the tank is going through a cycle so my question is. How do I get rid of these bubble sand balls that either float atop of the water or theyre stay at the bottom until a fish swims by and it then floats.

Does anyone reccomend a canister filter now that I have no choice but to upgrade? I was thinking Fluval 405.

Here is some pics of what im talking about--

Please help me out!

Attachments

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I switched over to sand, I took a large plastic slotted spoon and kept dredging it through the sand. It really got rid of the clumps. I never had an issue with my filter not being able to handle it, however, I didn't have fish in there at the time. So, I put the sand it, filled the tank 1/2 way and dredged for a few days prior to turning the tank on. I'm sure it was much easier for me as my sand had a chance to settle before I began cycling the tank.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry about the filters.. If you get a canister one then thats a fine choice. I recently converted and I had a canister filter. I left the filter off for 10 minutes before turning it on and it started sputering.. I turned it off and cleaned it then turned it back on. Do a few water changes to clear up the cloudyness faster. If you cleaned the sand well, the cloudyness should only last a couple days.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
should I wash it again inside the tank..and a
water change?
No, it'll clear up in time on it's own.. I would continue doing water changes though, since its cloudy because of suspended particles. When you refill the tank, you want to make sure that the incoming water doesn
't crash into the sand and stir it up. This can be prevented by placing a dinner plate upside down, that way the water will be diverted. Or if you refill with a hose, aim it at a big piece of decor.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok-- so its been quite a journey since my 10gal tank. I now have a 55g tank with 3 oscars - pleco and Jeweled Cichlid. I recently converted my tank into sand and everything has gone wrong.

Does anyone reccomend a canister filter now that I have no choice but to upgrade? I was thinking Fluval 405.

Here is some pics of what im talking about--

Please help me out!
what filter do you reccomend?
For your tank, a filstar XP3. In addition, I'd also considder an HOB, with a surface skimmer.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you wash it REALLY well, it woun't get cloudy at all
+1

What kind of sand did you use? How did you rinse it? I switched three tanks from gravel to sand and had none of the problems you're experiencing, except the cloudy water which was caused by a mini cycle in one tank.

Have you checked your water parameters since the change? Did you save any of the gravel in pantyhose to keep in the tank?

I can't recommend a canister filter but go with what Jaysee says--he knows all.

-Lisa

OP
R

richnyc

Reaction score
yes the water is fine. I assume its going to a full cycle because I kept no old gravel and since my filter gave no BB remained. Im worried about the sand that continues to float-- and what filter to use now. Im pretty much cleaning up after them everytime is see poop. I dnt know what kind of sand I used. I bought it at a pet store and it was reccomended them. no amonia or nitrates. ph=6.9.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I never kept the old gravel in the tank and never had an issue with the cycle. However, I do fast the fish for a couple days after making big changes to the tank. Anytime you mess with the biofilter, even though the gravel accounts for a very small portion, it's a good idea to fast the fish IMO - minimizes waste produced so that the BB can get back to equilibrium.

I'd scoop out the floating particles with a cup as they pass by.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
been there did this...its not fun but its ok
take a net and skim off the floating particles of sand...you are getting it floating, as there is air pockets shifting it up ...stirring up the sand as lynda suggested, will help also.....hard thing is you have fish in the tank ....so careful not to agitate them too much....canisters will work great with this and the surface outtake, will keep it so its not so free floating...but HOB will do the same....with your size tank, and the size fish/bioload of them, id go with a larger canister as jaysee recommended.....the cloudyness will go away in time and with water changes....getting your filter(s) is priority for now...the rest will settle .....good luck and hope you can calm down soon and enjoy the tank!

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok I'm suprised no one mentioned the 3 decent sized Oscars and a Pleco in a 55 Gallon, that could be part of the reason for your water/filtration issues. Oscars and Plecos are HUGE waste makers. Also I converted a tank to sand and it killed my Marineland filter. I recently converted back to gravel. Your fish probably kick up a decent amount of sand into the main part of the tank and the filter can only handle so much (as I found out as well).

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok I'm suprised no one mentioned the 3 decent sized Oscars and a Pleco in a 55 Gallon, that could be part of the reason for your water/filtration issues. Oscars and Plecos are HUGE waste makers. Also I converted a tank to sand and it killed my Marineland filter. I recently converted back to gravel. Your fish probably kick up a decent amount of sand into the main part of the tank and the filter can only handle so much (as I found out as well).
the OP wasnt asking about that and was wondering how to clear up floating sand and cloudyness (which is from the conversion) and why the filters arent working...none of which has to do with his stock but all the new issues happening now, could continue with the stock of that tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.4%

Top Bottom