Help Just Found Baby Fish In Not So Great Place

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Jaymielea, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Jaymielea

JaymieleaValued MemberMember

Ok guys I'm goimg to need your help with this one. SO I redid my tank a few weeks ago and put one plant in a vase and put it outside just incase I wanted it again but didnt so it sat outside for probably 3 weeks. Today I was looking at it to see if it was still living and I seen something swimming around. I'm pretty sure a baby pepper cory that somehow survived but now I dont know what to do with it. Maybe go and buy a fish bowl and transport him in? The water in this vase is horrible so I really dont know how he or she survived this long but I really dont want to kill it. What should I do??? 20190714_121204.jpg
    20190714_121135.jpg20190714_121059.jpg

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Suck it out with a turkey baster and put it into the tank you have the cories in.

3. OP
    OP
    Jaymielea

Would it survive? I have a bolivian ram also and could I have one more cory in my 20gal long. Would love it but I have 10 corys now

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I think it’ll have a better chance than being in the vase. I don’t wanna sound mean but put em in your 20 and let nature takes its course . One other thing I would suggest if you don’t already have a prefilter sponge you may want to add one. Good luck

5. OP
    OP
    Jaymielea

Ok thanks I will put him in the tank and hope he survives. Lol just would have liked to see him grow but I understand nature must take its course instead of keeping him in a bowl for my own amusement. Thanks again for the quick response

6. RobM

RobMValued MemberMember

You could put it in a breeder net hanging in the tank until it gets a little bigger.

7. Sheryl

SherylNew MemberMember

That's what I would do. Poor little baby. lol

8. OP
    OP
    Jaymielea

Well I took him out of the vase and into a dish so I could atleast get him used to the water but havent put him in my tank yet so maybe I will buy a breeders net today as I would love to see him grow. You think I should put some moss in the net and maybe something like a floating plant? Never thought I would be in this predicament as they always eat the eggs.

9. pagoda

pagodaValued MemberMember

I have two baby Bronze Cory, both about 1cm nose to tail, they are thriving in the 20g long with the other fish (Tetras, Cory, Gourami & Pleco), when another fish gets too close they naturally dart under the nearest plant, rock or driftwood. Once the coast is clear they are out and about and really very confident considering they are so tiny

10. RobM

RobMValued MemberMember

No, cories don't care too much about plants. They like to dig around in sand/gravel. So, you could scoop a little bit of your substrate from the tank and put that in the net. Breeder net have a pretty fine mesh so most of it should stay in place.

Also, older cory fry eat the same food as the adults so you shouldn't need anything special for them.

11. OP
    OP
    Jaymielea

Ok I will add some sand in it tomorrow didnt think it would hold sand but for sure I will try. Thank you everyone

12. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

That's pretty neat. I had a surprise baby cory once as well. I was going on vacation and had some dying plants in my 20g. I threw them in a 20 long (only water).
    When we got back, there it was swimming around!

I'd throw some moss in with him. It will give him a place to hide and feel more secure. He'll also be able to feed off micro organisms for the plants.

Good luck!

13. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Cory fry are pretty good at hiding until they are big enough for the other fish to ignore them.

I will tell you how I know :D

I started out with 3 albino and 3 bronze. I now have way more corys than I should in my tank. Most of them were hatched right there in the tank with no help at all from me. I am thinking they got most of their fry food off my sponge filters.

14. OP
    OP
    Jaymielea

Oh glad I added some in. Thought I read that they eat off of it but couldnt fimd it again. Thanks
    Hahaha thats awesome. Starting to wonder how many I have as they never come out all at once for me to count but hopefully this is the onlyextra I have as I'm worried aboutthe size of my tank and as much as I would love to get a bigger one I use hug water now so I can only imagine the cost of a 40gal tank :dead:

15. mattgirl

I have tried to count mine but there are so many and they are so active it is impossible to get an accurate head count. I would love to get some more fish that spend their time at the top of my tank but with so many corys I can't do that. I really should try to remove some of them but just can't bring myself to do it.

This in one of the main reasons I have to do close to 50% water changes on this 55 gallon tank each and every week. I now diligently scrape off any and all cory eggs I see and let the other fish easily feast on them.

If it weren't for all the corys my tank would actually be understocked with
    6 longfinned black skirt tetras
    1 columbian red/blue tetra
    1 pearl danio
    5 neon tetras
    Elbert and his tiny lady friend Evelyn (bristlenose plecos)
    I had one little molly in there until he started being a brat to my columbian tetra. Hopefully he is happier now that he is in the tank with his siblings.
    hug water?

16. OP
    OP
    Jaymielea

Lol jug water was what I meant. When I do 50% water change I have to buy 2 jugs at 6 dollars a piece. That can add up pretty quickly so before I get more baby's I will have to start doimg what you are doing.

17. pagoda

pagodaValued MemberMember

This is one of my baby Corys, they are both quite comical and full of self confidence despite being alot smaller than a Neon :)

The Pristellas seem to be babysitters now, often found swimming close by and chasing any nosey fish away

I thought I might have lost both babies overnight due to a massive fight tween Vettel & Hamilton that forced me to move Vettel to the other aquarium but no, the babies came out to play at breakfast time as usual :)

Attached Files:

18. mattgirl

Ah ha Gotcha :D

Yep, that could get expensive pretty quick. Is there no way you can just use your tap water?

19. OP
    OP
    Jaymielea

No it's pretty bad. We don't drink it

20. mattgirl

That's to bad. Buying water for water changes can get pretty spendy. :( I actually don't drink my water either but only because I can't get past the smell of chlorine in it. Fortunately a water conditioner gets rid of that for my fish.

If you don't mind me asking what makes your water unusable for your tank? We may have already discussed this but I have been told the memory is the first thing to go :D