Help It's Taking Over!!!!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have the most ridiculous amount of algae in not one but both of my tanks. This is not stringy stuff or cling-to-the-glass stuff, but the algae that turns your water into pea soup and won't go away!!! I don't know what's going on. My first tank I never saw a speck of algae until it was like a year old, and only then small patches. But now I set up two tanks and they almost immediately turn green for no apparent reason! 50% water changes reduce the cloudiness a little for a day or two and then the algae comes back. I need some sort of magical algae destroyer or I'm going to go insane!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check this out:
From your description you have green water. It's not harmful to your fish infact most of them like it and fry especially. I believe a complete blackout for three to five days should get rid of it. continue to do water changes to get the dead algae out. To black it out cover it with something so not even a scrap of light gets in. Wrap with a blanket or dark garbage bags. The blackout won't disturb your fish either.
Meanwhile think about whether your over feeding or not. Algae has to have nutrients and light to grow.
Carol

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There's no way I'm overfeeding in either tank--I hardly feed the Otos at all since there's so much algae, and the food I feed the Cories all gets eaten by the next day (all the pond snails gorge on whatever the Cories miss). Also the tanks get zero direct sunlight so I'm confused as to why I have green water. ??? ugh

I may try the blackout method in the 10 gallon but I'm afraid to do it in the 20 since I have plants in there. Won't that kill my java ferns if there's no light for several days?

I'm not usually worried a bit about algae...but at the point where I can no longer see my fish or plants I figured I'd better try and do something...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No an overdose of algae killer is not a good idea! It would kill her fish.
0morrokh the time(even a week) without light won't hurt your plants.
Carol

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Algae killer is bad, no matter how much is used. I would not dream of using it. Just think...you are adding chemicals that are meant to kill living organisms into an aquarium. As a matter of fact they can also be harmful to plants and fish. Not a good idea.

I'm glad to hear the lack of light won't hurt my plants. I only have 2 left out of like $40 worth of plants I ordered so I'm a bit paranoid about them..... I have just done a massive water change in my 20 so I htink I will start the blackout now while the algae is minimized. I will see if I can reduce the algae in my 10 through water changes before I try to kill it all in there...

Thanks for the help!

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
YAYYYYY!!!! The algae has been defeated!!! I can't believe it...after only 3 days of blackout, with a big water change before and after, the "pea soup" is almost completely gone. I'm so happy...I can finally see my cute little fishies swimming around and see how big my java ferns (which, btw, are no different for the lack of light) have grown. ;D Thanks for the blackout idea Carol!!! I am going to try it in my 10 next. I think I will post before and after pics just for fun. Although I'm not sure I want you all to see how terrible my tank looks currently...

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A perfect example of: HOW YOUR TANK SHOULD N O T LOOK!
:-[

btw this is AFTER a 50% water change...

Well, at least the Otos are happy in there, that's for sure!
Will post an 'after' picture after doing a blackout.

ya know I never actually said this tank belongs to me... ;D ;D :-[

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heh I think I see your oto Glad you got one fixed, I have to work on getting rid of my hair algae, it looks horrible, I'm going to try a blackout and if that doesn't work overdose on excel as that's supposed to get rid of it and the blackout isn't but I'm going to try it anyways. Hope you clear it up in your 10 gallon.

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow you have sharp eyes, the Oto you can see is barely visible. tHe only reason I know you can see an Oto in the front is because I saw him before I took the pic.

THe other tank was not quite that bad but really bad just the same. I htink the problem for both was that the lights were on too long.

Peter243243

Reaction score
0morrokh said:
A perfect example of:  HOW YOUR TANK SHOULD  N O T  LOOK!
:-[

btw this is AFTER a 50% water change...

Well, at least the Otos are happy in there, that's for sure! 
Will post an 'after' picture after doing a blackout.

ya know I never actually said this tank belongs to me... ;D ;D :-[

ATTACK OF THE MARTIAN FISH!!!  ;D
THEY ARE STEALING YOUR FISH!!! ;D
HIDE THEM HURRY!!! ;D

Is the after picture done yet?

LilaBean

Reaction score
I did not know that algae could turn your water that flourescent-- for real?? mine has looked liked this before but only after treating it. I can't wait to see the after picture! LILA

New Threads