Help! Issues With My Cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CWood2531, Apr 22, 2019.

1. CWood2531New MemberMember

I had my convict and blood parrot in a 30 gallon tank with 2 small BN pleccos. All was fine for 6 months, but as the cichlids got larger, they were constantly fighting over territory. I then upgraded them to a 55 gallon tank, and all was going well for 2 weeks. I then noticed the Cichlids starting to become very lethargic and constantly facing down into the sand at the bottom of the tank. I started doing 50% water changes, for 4 days straight. They seemed to improve, and regained appetite. Three days ago I noticed my convicts eyes began getting cloudy, and both fish were losing color. The convict has also been rubbing against the sand on occasion. I removed all carbon and began dosing with melafix, as that worked on my goldfish tank when he developed cloudy eye. I keep testing my water daily, and here are my readings:

PH-7.2
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-5

I am currently running a Penguin Biowheel 350 and a Topfin Whisper 30. My temperature is a constant 80°. Both fish have been eating normally. Any help is appreciated.

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember