Help ! Is this stand safe for my tank ?

Dechi

The tank is a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallons. The stand is made for 10 gallons aquarium and is 20 inches long x 10 inches deep.

The Evo has a base that’s just a little under 20 x 10, but the glass extends 2 inches more, making it 22 inches long. So there are 2 inches of the tank that are hanging over the stand, with no support whatsoever.

It looks stable but looks can be deceiving and it’s making me nervous. As I safe or will this risk tilting or crashing in a few weeks/months ?

Thank you !

Attachments

• F01CAABF-E2EB-4AB7-B528-0095FE961BF7.jpeg
    F01CAABF-E2EB-4AB7-B528-0095FE961BF7.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 39
  • F76B371D-DDD2-46FE-AF58-5A77226AA087.jpeg
    F76B371D-DDD2-46FE-AF58-5A77226AA087.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 41
  • C5513511-891B-40C5-822B-8B62DB0CF7ED.jpeg
    C5513511-891B-40C5-822B-8B62DB0CF7ED.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 37

Dunk2

The tank is a Fluval Evo 13.5 gallons. The stand is made for 10 gallons aquarium and is 20 inches long x 10 inches deep.

The Evo has a base that’s just a little under 20 x 10, but the glass extends 2 inches more, making it 22 inches long. So there are 2 inches of the tank that are hanging over the stand, with no support whatsoever.

It looks stable but looks can be deceiving and it’s making me nervous. As I safe or will this risk tilting or crashing in a few weeks/months ?

Thank you !

I wouldn’t keep it there. . . All 4 corners of your tank should be supported IMO.

Edit to add: Or is there some sort of base under the tank?

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Thank you !
Thats just the design of the tank though isnt it? It has a base already fixed to it by the looks of it, so how could you possibly support the 2 inch overhang? That part of the tank wouldnt ever come into contact with the stand, so i think it would be ok. Otherwise, its a major and potentially dangerous design flaw!

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Thats just the design of the tank though isnt it? It has a base already fixed to it by the looks of it, so how could you possibly support the 2 inch overhang? That part of the tank wouldnt ever come into contact with the stand, so i think it would be ok. Otherwise, its a major and potentially dangerous design flaw!

I just edited my post asking about the base. I didn’t notice it at first.

I think I agree it should be fine.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Thats just the design of the tank though isnt it? It has a base already fixed to it by the looks of it, so how could you possibly support the 2 inch overhang?

Yes, that's the design. But I’m wondering if it should still be on a longer surface.

Before I had it on my counter, so it was hanging on the counter, not in the air.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Yes, that's the design. But I’m wondering if it should still be on a longer surface.

Before I had it on my counter, so it was hanging on the counter, not in the air.

But as carsonsgjs said, that part will never be supported, will it? But. . . If you’re not comfortable with it, move it. Not worth worrying about!

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

I get what you mean i think. Having it on a longer surface won’t add any support, but i guess you are worried about it being knocked by traffic going past?

perhaps move the stand and tank over to the left a bit (looks like you have a bit of space), so the wall acts as a bit of a barrier. That way, when you come down the hallway and turn right, you dont brush straight past the unsupported part of it?

Upvote 0

Dechi

Having it on a longer surface won’t add any support, but i guess you are worried about it being knocked by traffic going past?

I’m not worried about traffic, it’s under control. I’m worried about the stand not being appropriate to hold such a tank. It’s made for regular 10 gallon tanks, so I’m afraid it will collapse or tip on the side where it’s hanging.
But. . . If you’re not comfortable with it, move it. Not worth worrying about!

Yeah, but I have nowhere else to put it, except on my counter where it’s a pain to access because it’s right underneath the cupboards.

I was hoping someone with a similar stand and same tank would come by and tell me it’s fine I guess…. :-(

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics