Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3G
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Northfin (just switched from Aqueon Colour Enhancing Pellets this week)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? Occasionally blood worm as a treat
How often do you feed your Betta? 2x per day
How much? 4-8 pellets (still figuring out amount for new food)

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 2x per week
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vaccum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime; Indian Almond Leaf in the tank, plus Roobios tea (from a bag)

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH):60
Alkalinity (KH):80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? I think he has had the white ring on his eye for a while, but today think the left one looks wonky
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Left eye looks weird?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It has not - he is not a very active fish
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Stressguard for previous fin issues, otherwise, n20200925_164455.jpg20200925_164759.jpg20200925_175518.jpg20200925_181014.jpg20200925_181136.jpg20200925_181137.jpgot yet, planning on polyguard
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes - there is a previous post regarding fin damage and possible stress related slime coat loss
How long have you owned your Betta? 7 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

I am located in Canada so antibiotics are not an option. I have access to Polyguard and that's it.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Welcome to Fishlore, fellow Canadian!
This honestly sounds more like columnaris or fungus than popeye. I would increase the amount of water changes on the tank to 25% every other day. Add aquarium salt to the tank. 1/2 tsp per gallon. Make sure it is fully dissolved before adding it to the aquarium.
I would feed him less. Bettas should not have any more than 5-6 pellets a day. Also, just a tip, maybe fast him for one day of the week. It will strengthen his immune system and help him if he ever has to go without food for a prolonged period of time.
Hope he gets better!

krispix24

Thanks! I ended up dosing his tank with Seachem Polyguard last night, so if it is columnaris or fungus I think that should treat it. Can I ask what is making you lean in that direction? I will continue with the Stressguard as well. I am nervous about aquarium salts as I have heard they can do damage.

I appreciate the feeding advice, as I am struggling to adjust to these new much smaller pellets. I keep thinking I am starving him, but I am likely not. Good news is that I do actually fast him once a week already!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
krispix24 said:
Thanks! I ended up dosing his tank with Seachem Polyguard last night, so if it is columnaris or fungus I think that should treat it. Can I ask what is making you lean in that direction? I will continue with the Stressguard as well. I am nervous about aquarium salts as I have heard they can do damage.

I appreciate the feeding advice, as I am struggling to adjust to these new much smaller pellets. I keep thinking I am starving him, but I am likely not. Good news is that I do actually fast him once a week already!
His eyes don't look to be bulging much and columnaris tends to appear around the eyes.

Epsom salts will irritate a betta's labyrinth and gills but aquarium salt shouldn't hurt them.

Top Bottom