Help! Is this ich or velvet on my betta?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see anything all over your fish. Ich and Velvet are VERY different looking, easy to tell apart. Ich looks like grains of salt scattered on your fish, velvet looks like gold dust on your fish.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Still not seeing it in the pics. If he has raised white bumps that look like a grain of salt, its Ich. If he's in his own tank, its easy to treat:

Turn the heat up to 88 and leave it there for 2 weeks regardless.

Add a couple extra air stones as warmer water has less oxygen.

Do 50% water changes and gravel vacs daily.

Remove any and all decorations, clean them, leave them out to dry until the 2 weeks is up.

After the 2 weeks, it should be gone.

Now, if it is Ich, WHY did he get it? Ich is always present in the water but it only attacks fish when their immune system is down due to poor water conditions, bad temps, stress, etc.

What size tank is he in? What temp do you keep it at? Any other tankmates? How long have you had him? What are your parameters (is the tank cycled?)? Are you doing routine maintenance? What are you feeding him, how much and how often? Answer those and if it is in fact Ich we might be able to tell you why he got it.

OP
B

Beginnerbetta

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Still not seeing it in the pics. If he has raised white bumps that look like a grain of salt, its Ich. If he's in his own tank, its easy to treat:

Turn the heat up to 88 and leave it there for 2 weeks regardless.

Add a couple extra air stones as warmer water has less oxygen.

Do 50% water changes and gravel vacs daily.

Remove any and all decorations, clean them, leave them out to dry until the 2 weeks is up.

After the 2 weeks, it should be gone.

Now, if it is Ich, WHY did he get it? Ich is always present in the water but it only attacks fish when their immune system is down due to poor water conditions, bad temps, stress, etc.

What size tank is he in? What temp do you keep it at? Any other tankmates? How long have you had him? What are your parameters (is the tank cycled?)? Are you doing routine maintenance? What are you feeding him, how much and how often? Answer those and if it is in fact Ich we might be able to tell you why he got it.
Thank you again.

We have had him for two weeks now. He is a male betta in a 6 gallon tank on his own with some fake decor. I was worried about over feeding because I have little ones but he is getting a pinch of betta flakes twice a day with dried bloodworms twice a week. I cycled the tank for three weeks with bacteria, aquarium salt and conditioner before adding him. Recently there has been a brown algae forming on top of the decor and I wondered if that might be a factor but the water has been clear. I had the temperature at around 79 ( it is cold AF here in Canada right now) but put it up to 84 as soon as I saw the white on his face. I also added super ick cure at that time. I was going to do clean the tank today because of how the decor looked but after seeing the white spots I didn’t want to shock the poor guy with a water change.

the first few days he didn’t eat much..I figure it’s stressful to go from a small cup at a pet store to a new home. But after that his appetite had been reasonable and still seems to be!

I wonder if I am being paranoid and he is fine!

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You probably are overfeeding a little. Try to get your hands on some Bug Bites. I really like those and Ive switched most of my fish over to them. Great product. Get the Betta formula and just give him 3-5 pellets a day and that's all. Maybe give him 1 or 2 bloodworms on Saturday and nothing Sunday. I feel like the majority of people who come to this forum with Betta problems are either keeping them too cold (78 or less) or feeding them too much. Theyre a TINY fish and don't need to eat a lot.

Its cold AF here in Northern Maine too, lol. Was -5f when I started the car at 630 this morning.

Give his tank a real good cleaning, do a good water change, go easy on the feeding and keep him above 78 and you should be okay. If you think he has Ich, go with my instructions above. Even if he doesn't have it, it won't hurt him to keep the tank hot and clean for 2 weeks.

New Threads