Help is this fin rot?!?

kdwyer

Reaction score
What is the water volume of the tank? 2 gallons
How long has the tank been running?month
Does it have a filter?yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What is the water temperature?80°F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)male betta and mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?once a week
How much of the water do you change?half
What do you use to treat your water?water conditioner and tank stabilizer
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?no
What do you use to test the water?api test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
i am cycling the tank with the fish in it.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?twice a day
How much do you feed your fish?a small pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish?topfin tropical crumbles
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?as treats

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?maybe 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?maybe 5 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? has been laying on the bottom of the tank and breathing heavily so i tested the water and the ammonia was a little high so i did a water change. he has been still laying on the bottom of the tank but not as much and i don’t think his gills are moving as fast. he hasn’t been as active
Have you started any treatment for the illness?no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?laying on rocks and breathing a little fast and fins may look a little different

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)a couple of days ago maybe 5 days i noticed my male betta laying on the rocks and breathing rapid. days later i tested the water and the ammonia was a little high so i did a 50% water change. he has been more active since then but i think he may have fin rot. he is still laying a little on the bottom but not as much. here are some pictures of his fins.
644A05AB-6CA9-4088-ABA9-0FA493800D6A.jpeg
CE8F9694-F23E-41FB-93AA-610B4BED97C0.jpeg
E925D744-DE9B-4CA9-8283-8614148B14FF.jpeg

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It might be fin rot, but not if it was fine 5 days ago.
we cant help you if you dont help us, list the ammonia and nitrite .
Add seachums prime for the entire tank every 48 hours, add seachums paraguard, get your tank cycled.

OP
K

kdwyer

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
It might be fin rot, but not if it was fine 5 days ago.
we cant help you if you dont help us, list the ammonia and nitrite .
Add seachums prime for the entire tank every 48 hours, add seachums paraguard, get your tank cycled.
yesterday i did a water change because the ammonia was 0.25 but the nitrate was 0. i have seachem water conditioner and tank stabilizer. i just added some aquarium salt.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank is not cycled, Sometime you get away with fish-in cycling, sometimes you don't. Especially if the fish has a pre exhisting condition.
You need to be testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. you need to add seachums prime, you need to look up fish in cycling. You could try using seachums paragaurd. I would not use more salt, bettas are sensitive to salt! make sure the temperature is stable, make sure the fish is eating.
I recently nursed an angel fish with pretty bad fin damage back to health. I was pretty sure it was bacterial And I dosed with paraguard for 2 weeks, I also put a peice of cuttle bone in the filter for the extra bit of calcium. I dont know if the cuttled bone played a big part in healping her recover and regrow her fins, but she is almost fully recovered.

OP
K

kdwyer

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
Your tank is not cycled, Sometime you get away with fish-in cycling, sometimes you don't. Especially if the fish has a pre exhisting condition.
You need to be testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. you need to add seachums prime, you need to look up fish in cycling. You could try using seachums paragaurd. I would not use more salt, bettas are sensitive to salt! make sure the temperature is stable, make sure the fish is eating.
I recently nursed an angel fish with pretty bad fin damage back to health. I was pretty sure it was bacterial And I dosed with paraguard for 2 weeks, I also put a peice of cuttle bone in the filter for the extra bit of calcium. I dont know if the cuttled bone played a big part in healping her recover and regrow her fins, but she is almost fully recovered.
can i use api melafix

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NO, I was actually going to say that in my first response, melafix is not medicine!, melefix, is tea tree oil, a tonic like vix vapor rub. it can not help this isue, but it can hurt. It can coat the bettas labyrinth organ with oil and prevent it from breathing. They mak a diluted version for betas , this should be enough to prove that it is truly not safe for bettas.

OP
K

kdwyer

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
NO, I was actually going to say that in my first response, melafix is not medicine!, melefix, is tea tree oil, a tonic like vix vapor rub. it can not help this isue, but it can hurt. It can coat the bettas labyrinth organ with oil and prevent it from breathing. They mak a diluted version for betas , this should be enough to prove that it is truly not safe for bettas.
it is for fin rot thought

New Threads