How Do I Help Is There A Kind Of Snail Angels Won't Attack?

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
So I got a really pretty gold mystery snail and I'm pretty sure the angel bit off one of its antenna and then it died a couple days later (picked it up SMELLED SO BAD)

soooo is there a kind of snail I can get that won't be eaten/attacked by angels?

I was looking into getting a couple Ramshorn snails in red despite them being labelled as pest snails. The lady I bought the tank from had in 2 Chinese algae eaters and warned me that the angels like to attack the snails. I have since removed the algae eaters because they're scary to me.

Ipman37

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Chinese algae eaters are pest when they reach adulthood the stop eating algae and they start going after your fishes slI'm coat especially your angelfish and it sounds like you have one grouchy angel how bigs the tank,other tank mates and is it a full grown angel ?̆̈

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you think the angel killed your snail? Mystery snails are fine if their antennae or eyes get bitten off, they'll grow them back in like two weeks. They can take quite a beating, I've had them in with super aggressive bettas and goldfish, and they live through it all. How much protein was the snail getting? Mystery snails need to eat a massive amount of food, and a lot of it needs to be protein rich. Also, why do you want a snail? If it's algae, mystery snails won't help with that. But nerites will, and I don't see an angelfish knocking a nerite off the wall (if it does though, you have to flip it back up, they can't flip themselves)

OP
Addie42

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
Ipman37 said:
The Chinese algae eaters are pest when they reach adulthood the stop eating algae and they start going after your fishes slI'm coat especially your angelfish and it sounds like you have one grouchy angel how bigs the tank,other tank mates and is it a full grown angel ?̆̈
I got them second hand (angels) they are about a year old so Ive been told. They live with 6 platies, 3 guppies and an upside down catfish.
One is pretty small maybe 2.5 inches and the other is possibly 4.5-5"

None of the snails I've been getting from petsmart seem all that active though and I don't really know what to feed them either. They don't seem to go for food with the other fish I tried dropped blanched zucchinI and pellets in the tank for them but they don't do anything

Rtessy said:
Do you think the angel killed your snail? Mystery snails are fine if their antennae or eyes get bitten off, they'll grow them back in like two weeks. They can take quite a beating, I've had them in with super aggressive bettas and goldfish, and they live through it all. How much protein was the snail getting? Mystery snails need to eat a massive amount of food, and a lot of it needs to be protein rich. Also, why do you want a snail? If it's algae, mystery snails won't help with that. But nerites will, and I don't see an angelfish knocking a nerite off the wall (if it does though, you have to flip it back up, they can't flip themselves)
I can't find nerite snails anywhere ... any suggestions?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Addie42 said:
I can't find nerite snails anywhere ... any suggestions?
Since you don't have any other invertebrates, it may be a good idea to figure out why the first snail died. Do you have any other tanks with invertebrates? Is your water hard, soft, or moderate?
I haven't seen a PetSmart that didn't have nerite snails. They sometimes label them differently, like black racer snails, but they're basically the same thing.

OP
Addie42

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
Rtessy said:
Since you don't have any other invertebrates, it may be a good idea to figure out why the first snail died. Do you have any other tanks with invertebrates? Is your water hard, soft, or moderate?
I haven't seen a PetSmart that didn't have nerite snails. They sometimes label them differently, like black racer snails, but they're basically the same thing.
snails are the first invertebrate I have tried
The test strips come out as 30 gh (around the second from lowest on the strip)

I haven't tried putting any calcium in there yet... you're supposed to use cuttlebone right?

angelfishguppie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Addie42 said:
snails are the first invertebrate I have tried
The test strips come out as 30 gh (around the second from lowest on the strip)

I haven't tried putting any calcium in there yet... you're supposed to use cuttlebone right?
Yes, cuttlebone is very helpful.

I have 3 nerite snails with my very aggressive Angelfish (breeding pair) and they do fine. Nerites can turn themselves back over if they fall and land upside down (may take awhile and certainly looks awkward - so I usually help them out if I'm around).

Mine seem to survive on algae in the tank.

OP
Addie42

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
angelfishguppie said:
Yes, cuttlebone is very helpful.

I have 3 nerite snails with my very aggressive Angelfish (breeding pair) and they do fine. Nerites can turn themselves back over if they fall and land upside down (may take awhile and certainly looks awkward - so I usually help them out if I'm around).

Mine seem to survive on algae in the tank.
sounds good. I think it seems like a HIGH possibility I starved my mystery snail to death then O_O yikes

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My angels will go for snails like ramshorn, especially if they are not accustomed to them, like growing up with them. I used to keep nitrites with my angels no problem, they have a trap door to retreat in. Nerites are the only snail I keep with angelfish besides assassin snails. My 3 year+ nerites are also just fine with a tank full of assasin snails.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom