help is my snail dead?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by kaitlin4599, Aug 8, 2015.

1. kaitlin4599Valued MemberMember

ok so i bought a yellow mystery snail from petsmart about a week ago i had them test the water for me before buying him and they did a liquid test and said all my water parameters were in the green. he was fine all week till this morning when i noticed his yellow shell was darker then it used to be so i dropped him in a tetra algae sinking wafer disk thingy and took a nap. after getting up from the nap the snail is in his shell and he hasnt moved in the past hour idk what to do and im out of water testing stuff how do i know hes dead and how long should i wait before returning him to petsmart via there 14 day garuntee

update he is slowly moving right now hes on the algae wafer disk looks like hes eating slowly so idk

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Like all living things, snails sleep. Usually either tucked into their shell on the bottom or tucked in stuck to the glass, nothing to worry about. As long as it's trap door is closed when it's on the bottom it's for sure alive. Though if they're unhappy with the water quality they'll sometimes hang half in/half out of their shells while still being alive. They'll often sleep for hours or even days on occasion, unless it doesn't move for more than a couple days I wouldn't be concerned (for future reference)
    :)

To add, mine always go to sleep after a big meal.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    k

kaitlin4599Valued MemberMember

ya i think he was asleep hes moving now albiet a lil slowly he was prolly tired after eating

4. Leigh Muckey

Leigh MuckeyNew MemberMember

In the future,the best surefire way to determine if your snail is dead is to smell it. If he's dead... you'll know :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice