Help! Is my bronze cory sick?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by GoGreen, Apr 7, 2010.

1. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Some worrisome behavior is going on with Scrounge, one of my precious bronze cories. Last night Scrounge was playing all happy with Hector, I have had these two cories since my tank was set up and they are best friends. So comical!
    This morning, Hector was out with all the other fish for feeding, my cats love their pellets and never miss a feeding. But Scrounge didn't feed at all. He's been sitting on the bottom all day, either right by their log or under the log. Just sitting there, and if I go close I see that it looks like he's breathing heavy. Meanwhile Hector has been scuffling around the tank, and then will come back to sit with Scrounge for a while.

Water parameters are great, everyone else is active and I can see anything outwardly wrong with him.

Any ideas? I would really be sad if this means he's dying but I hate not knowing what's going on, if there's anything I can do.

Thanks in advance!

2. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Hmmm.....you say your readings are fine. Check the LOT numbers on the test kits to make sure they are not out dated. Sounds like there may be a water quality issue. Do a nice water change that might perk him up. When did you last do one?

3. OP
    OP
    G

GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

Thank you for your reply, Alyeskagirl. I checked the test kit like you said, but it seems okay, I use liquid API kits and I even did another test with an extra newer kit that I have, the results were the same (good)
    My last water change was less than a week ago, on Saturday. It was a pretty big one, about 35 to 40%.
    He was fine up until this morning.
    Do you have any other suggestions or ideas as to what might be going on here?

4. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

My cories will lay around like that and seem to breath hard after darting around the tank randomly. But they perk back up after an hour or two. Does he look hurt? How are the other fish in the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    G

Hi Furallich-No he dosen't look hurt, but he's been doing this all day. The other fish are perfectly fine. I thought maybe I should do a water change anyway as Alyeskagirl suggested. Maybe it would help, even though I am not sure it is needed considering my last one was less than a week ago.
    My poor little fish!

6. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry GoGreen. Maybe he is just sick....how long have you had him or do you know a good age estimate?

7. OP
    OP
    G

Well, I got him in September of '09 but he was much smaller then, so I am guessing that he is not even a year yet? I don't know the growth rate of bronze cories.
    I did a water change in case it would help just now.
    This past Sunday I added one new platy to the tank but I don't think that one little fish would cause a mini cycle! The platy had also been quarantined before I added it, for about 10+ days.
    That wouldn't have anything to do with it I don't think.

Maybe someone else has some experience with this behavior?

8. OP
    OP
    G

Well, morning has arrived and I thought I would look to see if anyone else had any ideas about my poor little bronze, before I go to look in the tank. Which I am afraid to do! Maybe he made it through the night I am hoping.
    In the meantime, perhaps there is someone out there with a suggestion?
    Anyone?
    Might as well stop putting off the inevitable, I will go and check now....

9. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Oh no, I hope your cory is just being naughty and scaring you for nothing. Mine have inactive days every now and again, where they spend most of the day sitting. Because I'm a bit of a nightowl, and there is a nightlight in the room where the tank is, I have walked past it and seen my bigger cory busy swimming around quite often. Perhaps he had a busy night?

10. OP
    OP
    G

Hi Rhan, I was hoping it was just a busy night, but he was like this all day yesterday, and didn't eat with his friend (highly unusual for him) and I just went to (gulp) check on him... he is still just sitting there, breathing heavy, with just a few shifts in position. The pellet I put in today was eaten by everyone but him.
    Help.

11. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Have you tried to increase the school that might perk him up a bit since cories like to be in big schools

12. OP
    OP
    G

Hi Cheese burger
    I don't think that the school increase would help him at this point, as it would take over a week or more to quarantine any new fish before I add them. He has not ever done this before, up until yesterday he was playful and active with his friend Hector, they are a good team together.

I was wondering whether I need to separate him at this point or just leave him in the tank with his friend. My cories never have been happy in the Q tank, they are lonely in there and there is nothing to do, I am concerned that he would get even more stressed. However, how do I know if what he has won't be spread to the other fish? What are the symptoms of ICH in cories, as they are scaleless fish? Would he show white spots for a while first before lack of movement?

13. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

You can send a message to Redkauna on the the forum he might know whats going on

14. OP
    OP
    G

Funny you should mention that, I just did that after I last posted on here! Thanks, I might not have thought of it.
    Hopefully he is around and able to tell me what is going on.

15. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Only thing popping into my mind now is ICH or an internal parasite. :-\

16. OP
    OP
    G

Yes, I am afraid of ICH, as we all are. But doesn't it start with white dots on the fish before any other symptoms show up? Now if it is an internal parasite, how would I treat for that? Take him out of the tank and medicate? I would hate to medicate the whole tank if I don't need too. In fact I read somewhere that ICH is best treated with heat and water changes/vaccum.
    Aaagh!???

17. OP
    OP
    G

So my little bronze cory is still struggling along, unfortunately I still have no idea how to help him. All I have been doing is a daily water change, two small ones, one in the morning and one in the evening for a daily total of about 25%. This way I suck up a bit of extra fish waste, and I am not feeding quite as much either. I don't know if this is a good procedure or not, but it is all I can think of.
    I can't get a good picture of him, because he is always tucked away by his log of just under it. However, it looks as thought his body on each side appears darker than normal, and is it just me or does he now seem skinnier? He still just sits there, breathing heavily.
    Oh please someone give me an opinion/suggestion, I don't know how else to deal with this. Am I just going to have to let nature take it's course? Heartbreaking to watch him, it is....:'(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice