Help! Is Black Molly Pregnant?

1. tgbpangilinan

tgbpangilinan Initiate Member

Is my black molly pregnant? I purchased her from Walmart yesterday. I aslo need advice on what to do to save more fry. Thank you. 20180525_121205.jpg 20180525_121100.jpg 20180525_121416.jpg 20180525_121247.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Agrivoi1

Agrivoi1 Initiate Member

It is possible. I have platysbwho just had 12 babies, and if you have enough cover in your tank you can leave them in there without needing to remove them.

3. OP
    OP
    tgbpangilinan

I have a bare bottom tank to easily remove unwanted dirt and have a clean tank. What cover should I use? Any diy ideas or suggestions?

4. Agrivoi1

Agrivoi1 Initiate Member

Any sort of rock, plants, or wood will work great.

5. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Live plants like mosses or hornwort work best. Otherwise any decor you can add that the fry can hide in should suffice. More importantly though, is your tank cycled?

6. OP
    OP
    tgbpangilinan

Yes my tank is cycled. I've been fish keeping for 8 years but this is my first time raising mollies. So any suggestions about keeping mollies would be a big help. Thank you :)

7. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Haha okay :) i just saw you were new to the forum.

Livebearer fry are really easy to care for. If you get live plants often they will just feed off the microorganisms living in the plants. Next easiest thing is to feed them powdered flake/pellet food that you feed the parent. It just has to be small enough to fit in their mouth.
    If you want to help them grow quickly, live foods or foods high in protein (like egg yoke) are really good.
    You do have to feed them several times a day though. Minimum twice a day, if you separate them i would feed 5 times daily.

However, the MOST IMPORTANT THING is the water quality. I assume you have a test kit in order to keep an eye on things. Best of luck!

8. OP
    OP
    tgbpangilinan

T
    Thank you so much for the information! :)