Help Iridescent Shark sores

IsbellPro
I have 2 iridescent sharks in my 55 gallon tank. One developed a sore on its head that grew to a spot about 1 -1/2 inches in diameter. It looks like the flesh has been eaten away. After doing some research I determined that I must have let the water get messed up. I began correcting the water with more frequent water changes and testing it. However, the little fish started picking at the sore as if they were eating at it. I moved my iridescent shark to its own tank with perfect water and the perfect temperature. I thought it would get better or die. It is still alive, but not getting better. What more can I do? Will it get better?

Before you tell me my tank is too small, I now know that and had planned to donate them to someone who has the right size tank. However, I don't feel like I can give it to someone with this horrible sore. Any suggestions?

Gozer_1
I feel your pain on the "Your tank is too small" thing, I have 2 as well in a 150 that is, of course, still too small. ;D

What does the sore look like? Is it white or red and swollen? Being scaleless fish they're more sensitive to medications. I have used Melafix on mine with no problems. It may help clear up the sore. I'd start with a half dose though. If the half dose seems to help and doesn't bother the fish then do a second round at half dose. I've had a lot of success with Melafix clearing up sores and bacterial infections. One thing to note is to avoid Melafix with Gouramis or Bettas just so you know. Good luck.

IsbellPro
Thank you. I'll give it a try and let you know my results. The sore is white and looks like you can almost see its bones.

susitna-flower
HI, ISBELLPRO, WELCOME TO FISHLORE!

Sorry your fish is having problems, not going to beat you up.....

Believe me, everyone here has problems from time to time, and having sick fish, and even those that die is nothing new to any of us....Just do the best you can, and learn. The only thing that we hate is seeing folks that don't try....

So , it sounds like your fish has hole-in-the-head disease. Yes, that is what it is called...common to cichlids, and other fish with high nutritional needs that aren't being met. They say a lack of vitamins causes it, and bad water conditions.

Try adding vita-chem every other day, as well as treating with metafix or some other medications that will help heal. I like Maracyn-two, but then you would also need to add a fungicide, like Maroxy...but as Gozer stated any fish that is scaleless is sensitive to medications. If they appear agitated after you add a medication, do a quick water change, and try something else. Either less medicine, or just do lots of water changes.

Improve the fish diet. A variety of foods, including frozen blood worms and brine shrimp should be good.
Good Luck...

Gozer_1
HI, ISBELLPRO, WELCOME TO FISHLORE!

Sorry your fish is having problems, not going to beat you up.....

Believe me, everyone here has problems from time to time, and having sick fish, and even those that die is nothing new to any of us....Just do the best you can, and learn. The only thing that we hate is seeing folks that don't try....

So , it sounds like your fish has hole-in-the-head disease. Yes, that is what it is called...common to cichlids, and other fish with high nutritional needs that aren't being met. They say a lack of vitamins causes it, and bad water conditions.

Try adding vita-chem every other day, as well as treating with metafix or some other medications that will help heal. I like Maracyn-two, but then you would also need to add a fungicide, like Maroxy...but as Gozer stated any fish that is scaleless is sensitive to medications. If they appear agitated after you add a medication, do a quick water change, and try something else. Either less medicine, or just do lots of water changes.

Improve the fish diet. A variety of foods, including frozen blood worms and brine shrimp should be good.
Good Luck...

Well said, I agree totally. Diet is A1 most important when dealing with Hole in the head. I've been helping a friend of mine with his Oscar's erosions. I know it can be tough. What I would recommend is the method I use to feed my Oscar. She hates veggies but they are a key to fighting the erosions. So, I put a mixture of foods into a food processor and puree it all in to a mushy goo. The mushier the better. I take this mixture and spoon it in to a small freezer bag then spread it out in a 1/4" layer in the bag. Get as much air out as you can and seal it shut. Lay it in the freezer till it's frozen and you can break off chunks. Feed a small piece or two at a time still frozen. I know some will tell you to thaw it out but in this case don't. Having the fish eat small chunks of frozen mixture will insure they get a complete meal every time. It takes the work out of a feeding routine because they get a little of everything every time. Me personally, I use a mix of catfish nuggets, cichlid pellets, flake food, cyclop eze, brine shrimp, fish vitamins, red and green leaf lettuce, nori, blood worms, krill, and a hint of garlic for the Oscar and tank mates including my Ir. Shanks. The mix should be mostly catfish and lettuce. They're basic staples to an omnivore diet (or carnivore for that matter). The other ingredients are kind of like micronutrients. The things you only feed every so often. Since the fish will be getting a little every time, you only need a little. I'd say I make mine half basic staples and half everything else. The basic mix half is up to you. Mine is 2/3 catfish 1/3 lettuce and nori. You want to mix the dry ingredients first and the wet ingredients separately. Mix the dry to dust, the wet to goo and then mix the two. (I was a poet and didn't know it).
My friend has been feeding his Oscar the food I make and the erosions have started improving after a week of regular use. This is the same method I use to feed all of my 4 tanks. I change the recipe depending on the tank and for the small fish I thaw it first. Getting your fish a complete diet is really what it's all about and I recommend this method to anyone. I picked it up from Reefcast. A podcast I recently started listening too.

susitna-flower
Another paste food you can make yourself.

I am about to the point where I want to start doing this. Good food costs so much...especially when you have MTS..

Gozer_1
OOO I like the gelatin. That recipe you linked has gelatin in it. That would be great. Help it stick together and good for their cartlidge and such. Thanks for the link. I think I want to start adding Omega 3's to my recipe. Some fish oil or something. Hmm

susitna-flower
It also states that the shrimp are a binder as well as the gelatin. It says you can use fish, but that the shrimp hold it together......
I agree Omega 3's would be good....

Any idea where to get some of these ingredients in bulk?

Gozer_1
It also states that the shrimp are a binder as well as the gelatin. It says you can use fish, but that the shrimp hold it together......
I agree Omega 3's would be good....

Any idea where to get some of these ingredients in bulk?

You can get Knox brand gelatin in the Jello isle and I'm planning to check out people supplements for a good Omega3 casule. Should be fine as long as it's just a fish oil pill or something along those lines. Organic and preservative free would be best.

susitna-flower
I was thinking more about the spirulina and krill powder. OR the 1 lb of Premium flake food....sounds like one batch could be $$$, but then it might last for a year!

Gozer_1
I was thinking more about the spirulina and krill powder. OR the 1 lb of Premium flake food....sounds like one batch could be $$$, but then it might last for a year!

Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I've started selling my mix locally to a few friends. It'd be nice to have the capacity to expand my market lol. Look out fish food companies, here I come lol.

ITHURTZ
Do you have any sharp objects in the tank? They could have easily spazzed and nailed their head. The biggest one I have is 5" and a 55 gallon can't contain this speed demon. Melafix and clean water should do the trick!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Brainlady
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
boate1997
Replies
Views