Help! Invasive snails?

somedudewithatank

I have had my freshwater 10 gallon tank for a couple of months now (since May 26, 2021) and when I added live plants I noticed some snails in the tank I hadn’t bought, and figured they came along with the plants. Fast forward to now there are more than I can count, and am worried they are overpopulating. They look like physella acuta/bladder snails to me but I don’t know for sure. I have 1 nerite snails and 2 amano shrimp, will the snails become a threat to them/their food source? I notice little eggs in the tank which I assume are from them, and remove them when I see them, a photo is attached. I also attached a photo of an area I dropped an algae wafer, and can see a ton crowded there.
TL;DR Snails I didn’t buy are begginning to breed a ton in my tank and need advice ID-ing and knowing what to do with them as to protect my other creatures.

Attachments

• 404E425F-B36C-4EF5-A363-CDA1D6D3C5C7.jpeg
    404E425F-B36C-4EF5-A363-CDA1D6D3C5C7.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 22
  • A591F4E8-A8BD-4215-BC86-6F3111BB5F63.jpeg
    A591F4E8-A8BD-4215-BC86-6F3111BB5F63.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 8476126E-7AD3-40DD-BC25-A41A8C88B570.jpeg
    8476126E-7AD3-40DD-BC25-A41A8C88B570.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 12B4DB4F-A5F4-4F37-B836-AB140B87F715.jpeg
    12B4DB4F-A5F4-4F37-B836-AB140B87F715.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 19

StarGirl

Yep those are Bladder snails. Yes those are their egg blobs. Feed less and the numbers should go down. They absolutely will compete for food with your other algae eaters. They will live in a jar if you want to remove them by hand without killing them.

Upvote 0

somedudewithatank

Yep those are Bladder snails. Yes those are their egg blobs. Feed less and the numbers should go down. They absolutely will compete for food with your other algae eaters. They will live in a jar if you want to remove them by hand without killing them.
Thank you!! I don’t want to make a food competition, so just putting them in any jar with tank water would be okay? I don’t want to kill them and I don’t want to hurt my other creatures by not removing them

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Thank you!! I don’t want to make a food competition, so just putting them in any jar with tank water would be okay? I don’t want to kill them and I don’t want to hurt my other creatures by not removing them
Yes it will be ok. Throw a piece of plant in there. Idk if anyone who has a snail jar feeds them or not though.

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

Welcome to my world, lol.

And I have been in your place where I got them from plants and I didn't want to hurt them. Not only am I soft hearted, but I actually love snails. I even have a jug of them sitting on my window sill where the sunlight makes algae for them to eat because I can't personally kill them.

But...............

It got to where I had so many I had to make changes. When I say too many, I'm talking about they reproduced to the point where they were coating the sides of my tanks.

I used a couple methods depending on the tank. My 55 gallon was the easiest since I was able to add fish and other snails that out competed the bladder snail for food so much that their reproduction rate dropped so low that I only see a few.

And you will hear that if you don't over feed, the population won't get that big, which kind of goes into what I did in this tank since they were not able to get enough food once I got the right combo of fish and other snails. But this is hard in other tanks, such as my shrimp tanks, since what makes great shrimp food also makes great snail food.

For my other tanks, I started by putting assassin snails in the 20 gallon red shrimp tank. That was a slow process, but once the 5 original assassin snails reproduced enough to make a difference, I was able to move their babies in a couple of my other smaller tanks.

At this point, I'm waiting for those assassin snail to reproduce enough to get rid of problem in those tanks. Meanwhile, I'm removing as much as 30 bladder snails a day between the various tanks and throwing them in the red shrimp and now my blue shrimp tank to feed the assassin snails.

This is what I'm doing and it's still an experiment in process. For instance, I don't know what I'm going to do in the future if my assassin snails work too well. Personally I don't think I'll have a problem since right now I have still have so many bladder snails. And if push comes to shove, I still have them happily breeding away in my bladder snail jug as well as a very prolific population of my beloved, but also too prolific, rams horn snail population.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
  • Question
  • Adrienne1984
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Adrienne1984