Help interpreting test results

eelgosquiggle

As per title, I'm having trouble interpreting this results. Ammonia looks like between 0.5 and 1 and nitrite seems to be 0.1
But if I have the nitrifying bacteria, I shouldn't see ammonia, right? Would you consider this a false positive?

If anyone is wondering what tests these are, I borrowed them from my job (with my boss' permission), they are professional grade ammonia and nitrite tests.

I plan on doing a water change when I get home.

Attachments

• 20211227_095644.jpg
    20211227_095644.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211227_095712.jpg
    20211227_095712.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211227_095719.jpg
    20211227_095719.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15

mattgirl

But if I have the nitrifying bacteria, I shouldn't see ammonia, right? Would you consider this a false positive?
If you mean you added bacteria in a bottle then seeing these results isn't at all unusual. Give your tank time to get well established and you will eventually get zero readings for both ammonia and nitrites.

If I am remembering correctly you are doing a fish in cycle with an eel. Please correct me if I am wrong. Most of the various bottles of bacteria will not instantly cycle a tank. It still takes time for enough bacteria to grow in the tank to process out all of the ammonia the fish are producing.

We know you have some ammonia eating bacteria because you are seeing some nitrites. Once you start seeing nitrates we will know you have some nitrite eating bacteria. Once you have enough of both types of bacteria you will no longer see ammonia or nitrites and will be left with only nitrates.

eelgosquiggle

If you mean you added bacteria in a bottle then seeing these results isn't at all unusual. Give your tank time to get well established and you will eventually get zero readings for both ammonia and nitrites.

If I am remembering correctly you are doing a fish in cycle with an eel. Please correct me if I am wrong. Most of the various bottles of bacteria will not instantly cycle a tank. It still takes time for enough bacteria to grow in the tank to process out all of the ammonia the fish are producing.

We know you have some ammonia eating bacteria because you are seeing some nitrites. Once you start seeing nitrates we will know you have some nitrite eating bacteria. Once you have enough of both types of bacteria you will no longer see ammonia or nitrites and will be left with only nitrates.
Great, thank you! Yeah I'm doing a fish in cycle with just an eel. So that means I am starting to develop nitrifying bacteria but they still need to catch up with the bioload of the tank?

mattgirl

Great, thank you! Yeah I'm doing a fish in cycle with just an eel. So that means I am starting to develop nitrifying bacteria but they still need to catch up with the bioload of the tank?
Right, just continue doing what you are doing. As long as you keep both ammonia and nitrites down to these levels your eel should be safe. Eventually both ammonia and nitrites will drop to zero.

I do hope your little guy is feeling more comfortable now.

eelgosquiggle

Right, just continue doing what you are doing. As long as you keep both ammonia and nitrites down to these levels your eel should be safe. Eventually both ammonia and nitrites will drop to zero.

I do hope your little guy is feeling more comfortable now.
That's awesome! And yeah, after that big water change you advised me to do my eel stopped the fatigued breathing and the led has been consistently off and he actually comes out and looks very comfortable chilling on the stones or between the plants :)
Mr. Squiggle thanks you from the top of his tunnel

Attachments

• mrsquiggle.png
    mrsquiggle.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
evonner
Replies
Views
Swatson