Help! Integrity Of Tank May Be At Risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
I thought I had water bubbles under the new sealant I placed in my 75 gallon tank but I found out water got in between the base and tank. I can blow the water out with an air compressor if I place the tip between base and glass. My question is :
Is the integrity of the tank still solid if water gets in between base trim and glass? It's an Aqueon 75 gallon with oak trim.
I'm in the process of resealing it again because I thought the water bubbles were under the sealant. I want to know if it's worth the trouble of continuing the resealing job?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you reseal it right it's totally worth the trouble. $20 worth of silicon caulk vs $500 for a new tank

Since it's a hardwood and not a man made material I would see if it started to warp tho. Usually they do a good job of sealing the wood I have a 100g that water was dripping off my canopy down the front of the glass and didn't have any issues when I set it back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
wicca1971

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
This will be the 2nd time I'm resealing it. I bought it used and saw that the original sealant was dried up and coming off. After I resealed it I did a water test and there were no leaks. I decided to wash it all down and I guess in the process of washing the outside of the tank water ran down in between the glass and bottom wood frame. The water collected in little water beads all on the underside of the tank. I thought it was under the silicone I just had put down that's why I pulled it back off and that's when I realized it was actually water that got under the frame. I'm just not sure if that water will cause any weakening of the tank structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom