HELP INSOCIAL fish fry???!?!!!!

1. animalfreak Initiate Member

So my fish have been having lots of fry lately...molly and guppy fry. (purebred guppy, purebred molly). I saw one fry just swimming in my tank and one of my mollies was chasing it..so I scooped the fry out and put it in a breeders net. I didn't have any fry at that time, so it grew up for about a month or two alone. Now I have 3 guppy fry, I moved the unknown fry into a breeders net with the guppies and she/he is picking on the guppy fry. I don't think this unknown fry is guppy...looks much like molly, but I can't promise it's a molly so possibly a guppy.

Is this a terrible problem? Should I separate them? The unknown fry is nipping at the guppy's fins. I fear that if I separate them again the unknown fry will hate other fish it's whole life because it grew up without anyone. Is this true? How can I stop this? How to socialize fry? HELP???!!!!!

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I leave all my fry in the main tank, the fry will feel less stressed as they can hide and the parents will, well deal with the "lots of" problem. Fry big enough not to fit into other mouths are fine to be in the main tank anyway (usually about a month or so).

With livebearers you will quickly become overstocked if you try and save everything, so I personally let mother nature help out.x

3. Clement Chee Initiate Member

Would you consider getting them some underwater plants? Those fries will be able to hide from the adults.

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I agree with hollie1505, in that unless you are keeping livebearers to a specific purpose, such as establishing or maintaining a line, there really is little need to remove them from the main tank (unless, of course, you wish to acquire many more tanks).
    I think that you will likely end up with with a sort of equilibration of fish, as fry replace adults.
    It does sound cruel, I suppose, but only to the extent that it mimics nature.---rick