Help Injured Platy

Carpfisher

Reaction score
Right so my platy some how got herself wedged behind the filter and is injured i dont know what to do where shes injured her scales are sticking up and its red all other fish in the aquarium are fine and shes on her side what should i do
377703dc597d0261a775b49bc4249041.jpg
c955bd9e68796d7cfea1bb5d4c126d79.jpg

Aubreew

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure as I've never had this happen, but I believe she should be quarantined and treated. I would maybe add just the tiniest sprinkle of Epsom salt (for pain/discomfort) to the quarantine tank, and maybe Melafix? It treats abrasions and such so it should help with healing. But don't treat her with other fish that don't need it, quarantine, just be gentle. When taking her out, don't use a net! Use a cup or bowl as not to irritate her scales further.
She doesn't look so hot, I hope she gets better! Maybe change out your filter for a sponge filter to prevent it from happening again.

Carpfisher

Reaction score
Ok will do thank you
Aubreew said:
I'm not sure as I've never had this happen, but I believe she should be quarantined and treated. I would maybe add just the tiniest sprinkle of Epsom salt (for pain/discomfort) to the quarantine tank, and maybe Melafix? It treats abrasions and such so it should help with healing. But don't treat her with other fish that don't need it, quarantine, just be gentle. When taking her out, don't use a net! Use a cup or bowl as not to irritate her scales further.
She doesn't look so hot, I hope she gets better! Maybe change out your filter for a sponge filter to prevent it from happening again.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, if I were you I'd move the fish out from behind the filter & heater or it will probably damage itself more, do you have any way of keeping it away from those, something like a breeding net? If it's injured itself all you can do is keep it under observation & make sure your water is pristine clean & hope it will heal, you could add something like Stress coat or something similar to your water to help it recover.

Carpfisher

Reaction score
Seasoldier said:
Hi, if I were you I'd move the fish out from behind the filter & heater or it will probably damage itself more, do you have any way of keeping it away from those, something like a breeding net? If it's injured itself all you can do is keep it under observation & make sure your water is pristine clean & hope it will heal, you could add something like Stress coat or something similar to your water to help it recover.
Ive got a breeder box yea and some other stuff which one should i use
91d8f8dc66aa23854777963d270ba808.jpg

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't use any of those unless the platy starts showing something like a fungal infection, what you need is something that will help repair its slime coat to aid its recovery, I use Biotopol or Acclimol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom