Help! Injured fry

Lmg01

So I had just moved two platy fry into a larger tank with mollies and platys. They are about a month and a week old. The other fish didn’t try to eat them and they were doing great for a few days, but I just noticed my male platy trying to mate with one of the fry. Normally the fry try to swim away if the big fish get too close but this one didn’t. After i got the male to leave it alone, I noticed it seemed unbalanced and wasn’t swimming normally. One of its bottom fins seems odd. It seems to be favoring one and keeping the other tucked in. It looks wobbly when swimming. The other fry and the other fish in the tank are fine. Could the larger fish have hurt it? All of my tanks are occupied, so I don’t have anywhere to move it. It doesn’t seem extremely stressed.
image.jpg

BigManAquatics

Well, fish fry survival is very much "survival of the fittest". It may heal up on its own.

Upvote 0

Lmg01

Well, fish fry survival is very much "survival of the fittest". It may heal up on its own.

Just out of curiosity, does that mean the fry is female, or was the male just doing his thing regardless?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Just out of curiosity, does that mean the fry is female, or was the male just doing his thing regardless?
With platy males, who knows...our males are always trying to get up on the other males too. But they tend to leave our fry alone once they too big to eat.. except if they get in the way at feeding time.

Upvote 0

Lmg01

With platy males, who knows...our males are always trying to get up on the other males too. But they tend to leave our fry alone once they too big to eat.. except if they get in the way at feeding time.

Okay, thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Platy harassing others
  • Hobbyist
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Hobbyist
  • Question
  • babyfish