Help In Stocking Please?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Slark, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Slark

Slark Valued Member Member

Hi,
    I have 10 gallon tank with cycle done. I am planning to buy neon tetras but How many should i buy? Also which food should i give to them? Will my unplanted aquarium work for them ?(many plastic plants).I have 650 l/h filter is it ok for them?

2. Ashto Brado

Ashto Brado Valued Member Member

Ur fine, maybe a school of like 7-8 of them and u can add other fish like an albino bristle nose pleco, or a couple snails, or some shrimp, or etc. experiment with it, just don't be cruel. We all hav to experiment throughout the hobby, and fail or succeed

3. OP
    OP
    Slark

Will they eat brine shrimps if I hatch in same tank?

4. Ashto Brado

I'd feed the tetras flakes, but u can feed wutever. Brine shrimp r a food source, I was talking cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and etc. if u hav some more questions on stocking, look at it at animal world or live aquaria if u r curious on sub u can buy

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I would go with 8 neon tetras.

I feed my cardinal tetras bloodworms.

No pleco should go in a 10 gallon tank, so go with either shrimp or snails as a tankmate if desired.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. Ashto Brado

My albino bristle nose got to 4.5" and is living comfortably in my 10 gallon, look up their sizes. A common pleco or just plain pleco needs a 55 bare minimum

7. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Common plecos get up to 24 inches while a 55 gallon is only 13 inches wide, so for a common you'd probably need a few hundred gallons minimum, not a 55. I agree with MaddieTaylah, a 10 gallon is too small for even the smallest of plecos.

8. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

20 gallons is the minimum size for a bristlenose pleco IMO, some people will say even more than that.

Also a common pleco needs a larger tank than a 55 gallon if it wants to be able to turn around.

Anyway this conversation is unnecessary as OP has not stated that he wants one anyway.

Also to OP, silk plants are much softer for fish than the plastic ones which means your fish are less likely to hurt themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  9. Ashto Brado

Sry, was going off something my friend said, I never get common plecos unless I raise them to about 6" then give them away to a friend. Usually I "rescue" fish from Walmart, raise them in one of my 5 tanks (70 being the biggest), wait for them to grow to a decent size, then sell them to my friends, neighbors, or other townsfolk who own ponds or huge tanks for a higher price, but that's just a side hobby. I did raise 2 albino bristle noses in a 10 gallon and they were fine, 1 of them I kept, and I just moved him to a bigger tank. He's 3 and a half and I needed the room to raise some more fish.

10. OP
    OP
    Slark

Thanks for help. Also does neon tetra breed or reproduce in tank?

11. brooklynmv

brooklynmv New Member Member

I have neon tetras in a community tank, have had them for about 2 months and they have not bred. Not even sure if they are really active breeders. I got them because I didn't want an overwhelming amount of babies. And they are not live bearers like guppies or mollies. So even if a female does drop eggs, there's probably not a high chance of fry as there needs to be perfect conditions for fry to hatch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice