Help In Stocking Community Tank

1. Keith Dann

Keith Dann New Member Member

Hey guys, new here and I have a question about stocking a community tank. I have gone to aqadvisor to get ideas, but it's throwing me off. The reason why is the type of fish that I want for my tank. Growing up my dad always had a 55 gallon with Bala Sharks, Iridescent Sharks, Clown Loaches in it. This is what I want as well. I realize that these fish can get very large, but I also know that fish grow in proportion to the tank. So I shouldnt see any of these grow over 6-8" long. But I also know I don't want to go with too many, especially if I want them all. I usually like to go 3 of each one, but that may be too many. I have 3 small Cory Catfish right now and plan on getting a Pleco as well. I realize my wants may not match the size of tank I have ☹️ but what are your recommendations?

If I get 2 Bala, 2 iridescent, 2 clown loaches would that be too much to go with the 3 Cory and Pleco? If it were up to me I would have a bigger tank cause I would love to add some Jurupari and Pictus Catfish

2. DaloAquatics

DaloAquatics Valued Member Member

Ok, so I just want to clear something up, fish don´t grow to the size of there tank. There bodies will stop growing but there organs wont. The body will become to small for the fish´s organs and the fish will die. You do what you want with the 55 but make sure the fish wont outgrow it.

EDIT: your 2 Bala, 2 Iridescent, 2 clown loaches, 3 corys, and a pleco wont work. The loaches and corys will and depending on the pleco it might work. The balas and Iridescent wont work though. Good Luck :)

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

I agree with the above. Unfortunately, all of the fish you want get far too large for your tank size; you’d need something like a 100 gallon to properly house even a clown loach, which stay smaller than balas and iridescent sharks.
    Stunting, which occurs when fish are put in a small tank, is very painful and leads to premature death.

4. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Well Known Member Member

You can get a pleco for sure, but make sure not to get a common pleco as those get huge! Someone else can give better info on smaller plecos. Bristlenose and clown plecos stay smaller, though i’ve never kept them so i am not sure how big they gef.

5. M-Stokes

M-Stokes Valued Member Member

Sorry you can't have any if those sharks or clown loachs in that size tank. If you want a shark you can go with 1 Rainbow shark or 1 Redtail. As for loaches, you can get 5 yoyo loaches, and 3 more corys make sure to get the same type you have so they can school. For plecos there's bristlenose or clown pleco. That leaves the bottom fully stocked next get some mid/top swimmers like tetras, angels, and gouramis.

6. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Pictus catfish would work as would a bristle nose. Rainbow/ redtail shark as well. Roseline sharks would be another option. Something like
    5 Pictus
    1 rainbow or redtail shark
    4 rose line sharks
    1 bristlenose
    That would be about the safe limit

7. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Pictus catfish would work as would a bristle nose. Rainbow/ redtail shark as well. Roseline sharks would be another option. Something like
    5 Pictus
    1 rainbow or redtail shark
    4 rose line sharks
    1 bristlenose
    That would be about the safe limit

8. candiedragon

candiedragon Valued Member Member

Just to make a note, Rose Line Sharks (aka Red Line Torpedo Shark or Denison Barb) are actually a type of barb but they closely resemble the shark species of fish.

I thoroughly agree with what everyone else has said.

I keep Clown Loaches in a 75 FOR NOW until they get big enough to be moved into the outdoor pond. Thankfully, they're pretty slow growers so we can enjoy them in the tank for now.

A long time ago my family and I used to have an Iridescent Shark, we adopted it when it was already 18 inches in length because he out-grew his tank. He was easily no less than two feet before he met his demise when he jumped out of the pond after we finally took care of a horrible green water issue, perhaps the clarity was overwhelming and spooked him or something. I do distinctively remember that it was not fun when we would have to do maintenance in the pond because he would bump into our shins and leave bruises. Couldn't imagine what kind of damage he could do to a tank if he got spooked...

Bala Sharks are also "tank busters" not only because they also get so large as well, but because they're fast and quite skittish and have been known to crash into the side of a tank and hurt themselves badly. Not to mention that they are very keen on the idea of safety in numbers, so they need to be grouped with no less than 6 of their own kind, I'd say. They need the swimming space, no less than a five-foot long aquarium, but of course bigger is always better.

What I want you to take from this is that they WILL out-grow your tank if it's not big enough. You only risk putting the fish into a miserable and painful life in doing so. This is me speaking from my own personal experience keeping these fish at one point in time or another. A 55 gallon tank typically has a depth of about 12-13", that is going to be really uncomfortable to try to turn around in once they start getting some size. Particularly the Iridescent Shark and Bala Sharks.

9. I

Islandvic Valued Member Member

Kieth Dann, welcome to the forum!

I just joined a few days ago myself, but have been reading on the site for a few months now.

So you already have a 55 gallon tank set up now, correct?

You stated you planned on getting a pleco to go with your 3 Cory's. Are you talking about a common pleco, that grows 12-18" long? Or a rubbernose pleco or clown pleco that grown 4-5" long?

10. OP
    OP
    Keith Dann

Keith Dann New Member Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I didn't realize all this. I always grew up in a house with a 55 gallon that had these fish in them. And of course you see this fish in the stores. I did some research, but I was always told the fish would only grow in proportion to the tank. No one ever said anything about internal organs and stunted growth and all that. Thank you for enlightening me!! I gotta say that's a bummer tho!!!! So now, to rethink this whole stocking thing....

I do have a 55 gallon set up right now. I have 3 Corys and a couple of neon tetras and about 6 small Platys. It just sucks that I can't have the fish I originally wanted, but maybe help me with what i can replace them with? I love watching my Corys swim around the tank, I love their movement, its like a "wavy motion", using their tail to move in the water. (forgive me for explaining it so bad) It's not just a straight line with not much movement at all. I like watching those type of fish swim, hence the iridescent sharks (which is also really a catfish). I love sharks, so anything that looks like them I would be interested in. (have to check out the roseline, but other options to?) Just sucks cause rainbow and red tail sharks tend to be better by themselves, not with other sharks. I would love some fish that get to about 4" - 6" or so in length (not fat) that have that "wavy" movement when they swim. I also love the color and the "fun" nature of the clown loach. I saw someone mention the yo-yo loach, I have never heard or seen them, but i will keep an eye out. Maybe other options there? I've considered some South American Cichlids as well, I heard African Cichlids are too aggressive and can't really work in a community tank. I will also get a Pleco, I wont do a common one due to the size, but any recommendations like clown, bristlenose, etc. My kids love fish with color, so some of the Gourami's and Cichlids may work as well.

Sorry guys, I know this is a lot and I can only have so many fish! Unfortunately, I could only get a 55, but I will make due with whatever I can! Thanks!