HELP: in mid cycle and conflicting advice

poohfan61

I'm using an API Test kit and am concerned about readings. I'm getting Ammonia .25 Nitrites 0 and PH 7.4. I took the water to my LFS and he got a reading on the Ammonia .25 and Nitrates .25. I know this isn't much of a variance. I've done the test several times after I've returned home and I don't show any nitrites yet. The LFS suggested instead of changing water to add two capfuls of PRIME and to add a bag of ammonia nuetralizing crystals. Being fairly new I have read different recommendations on the forum. Now I'm not sure what would be best. Any suggestions?:;pirate

Shawnie

id rely on your own readings with the apI kit...did you get any nitrate readings yourself? because that number 2 bottle for nitrates has to really be banged on a counter top to mix up those crystals good...

poohfan61

Not that far along in my cycle. Have had some ammonia and this is first 'note' of nitrites. When I used my API Test on the water it read 0 nItrItes.

sirdarksol

The LFS just wants to sell you more stuff.

Water changes during the cycle are your friend. I usually suggest around 25% a day. Don't use the ammonia-absorbing stuff.
Prime, on the other hand, is good stuff. It will neutralize the ammonia and help the fish survive the cycle.

Angela_96

Def bang that nitrate bottle! I didn't know about that trick until I read it on here a couple months ago. I was getting lower nitrate readings than my tanks had it was showing 5 when they were 10.
The apI is def an acurate test kit!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom