Help in IDing a fish for a project I'm taking on

1. lambobble Initiate Member

Hi all! I have been a lurker here for nearly a year! I have two tanks of my own, but for now, I am asking for help in IDing a fish that is not mine. At my work (a preschool), there is a poor neglected 10g tank in our lobby that I have recently sort of...politely nudged...my way into helping care for. :) I just got tired of the overstocked, dirty, unlit and unheated tank being neglected and ignored, only to be scrubbed down completely every couple months, inevitably killing off several fish. =o( My first order of business is to sell or give away most, if not all of the fish in the tiny 10 gallon, and then start from scratch.

There were originally only about 3 of these fish in the tank, but then they had babies, and now there are close to 10(!). The biggest is nearly 5 inches long. I'm guessing it's some type of cichlid. Any advice on what type, or am I totally off?

Thanks everyone!

CenterFish.jpg

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

It is indeed a type of cichlid. Looks like a young Green Terror to me. Could you get a picture of the largest fish?

3. lambobble Initiate Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I googled the Green Terror, and I don't believe the fish in this tank have the bulging forehead that many of the Google Image results are showing for the Green Terror. I will get a good pic of the more mature fish soon and post them. Thanks!

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Only mature males get the Kok (pronounced coke) which is the bump on the head. This may be a slightly better picture to look at greenterror.jpg myfishtank.net

5. eltoro Member Member

A Laetacara of some sort maybe? A picture of the side of the fish would help.