Help In Cycle Please?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Slark, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Slark

Slark Valued Member Member

Hi,
    I have bought 10 gallon tank for neon tetras but before adding fish i am doing cycle. I have HIKARI goldfish pellets and api test kit.
    Will goldfish pellets decompose and add necessary ammonia to tank ? how much to add in 10 gallon? In my region there is no bottled ammonia (also not in online shop like amazon.etc) How should I use pellets?

2. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

You can use fish food, but as far as I know it's pretty much impossible to know how much to add. If you want to use fish food as ammonia source, I guess you'll have to just add a little and test the water. I suggest you add the food until your ammonia reaches around 1 ppm, since it's a rather small tank. Once it's at 1 ppm you wait until it decreases to around 0.25 ppm. When it's at 0.25 ppm you dose the food again up to 1 ppm. You continue doing that until your aquarium can go from 1 ppm to 0 ppm in 24 hours or less.
    Then you test the water to make sure that there are no nitrites as well and then you do a large water change to get the nitrates down. Once you have a tank where there's no ammonia, no nitrites and low nitrates you can add fish.

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I have used a raw prawn in the past & it worked much faster than fish food. You should look this method up.

4. OP
    OP
    Slark

My parents won't allow that as they are PURE VEG (they also hate its smell) but as aquarium is good for house positive energy ( according to our religion) they letting me buying aquarium :)

5. Arwen

Arwen New Member Member

welcome to the hobby! Yup the fishfood does contribute with the nitrogen cycle. What kinda of filtration are you using at the moment, depending on kind/size of your filter/tank the time taken varies. Have fun cycling

6. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Another reason it's harder with fish food is because the items don't decay and begin to create the necessary ammonia until later. So you're not sure how much to put in. However, it's not impossible, so give it a try! I would use cheaper fish food, though, not more expensive one.

7. MaddieTaylah

Actually you could buy the frozen fish food which is more expensive and use that and it would take less time because the contents would spoil quicker.

Have you considered cycling your tank outside? I have done this before in order to avoid making the house smell.

8. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

I still have a feeling that it should be possible for you to order some pure ammonia online.
    And as @MaddieTaylah says, maybe they'll agree to using the fish food if you cycle it outside.

9. OP
    OP
    Slark

Frozen bloodworms you mean? How many to put ? For how much time?

I live in India. I don't know why but ammonia isn't available online shops like amazon, eBay etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    Slark

Frozen Bloodworms you mean? How many to put ? For how much time ? Can you give me step by step guide please?

11. MaddieTaylah

Frozen blood worms would work, I'm not sure how much because as said above with fish food it's not as easy to know how much is need for enough ammonia. Just put a decent amount in and test ammonia for the next few days, hopefully it will rise.

12. OP
    OP
    Slark

but how many to add? for how much time?

13. MaddieTaylah

It is impossible to know how much, like I said out a decent amount in each day and wait for a few days for ammonia to rise.

14. OP
    OP
    Slark

Should I take out bloodworm after some days or let it be in tank?

15. MaddieTaylah

You can take it out if the ammonia gets higher than 4ppm and then let the ammonia drop down to 0.25ppm and then put more bloodworm in again.

16. OP
    OP
    Slark

Thanks for the help ! I appreciate it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice