Help in choosing gear

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Itamarironi, Apr 12, 2010.

1. ItamarironiValued MemberMember

After some savings I now have 500$ to spend on fish equipment.
    I currently have:
    two 10 gal fish tanks.
    Air pump
    and an aquamini filter.

I am planing on astablish a minimum 55 gal planted freshwater tank. What size do you recomend? I will go up to 100 gal max.

Let's say I decide on 75 gallons, what filter, heater and etc should I get?
    I would like to have a power head as well to give my tank more real looking look.

Another question: is it possible to get frogs in the tank? Not the dwarf African once, more like tropical frogs (will floating piece of wood will be enough for them?)

thank you very much,
    Itamarironi

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

my responses in blue. :)

3. ItamarironiValued MemberMember

Can someone list the best brands? (best money value)

4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

For canister filters I recommend Eheim and Fluval (Brand choices are limited in Aus), then we have the other brands, Aqua One, and the cheaper 'asian imports'. Fluval filters are a little cheaper, and more versatile with their media basket setups, probably the best value in Aus.

For Heaters, both the Eheim Jager and Hydor heaters are very good, a little more on the pricey side, but work great. I believe many in the US swear by the Stealth heaters.

The best thing to do is to find out what you can get in your area, and what spare parts you can get. I now have in my 'stock' of bits and pieces a spare impeller and spare impeller shaft for my canister filter (just in case something happens out of business hours). Then based on what is available to you, we can recommend the best option.

Most of the advice you'll get will be related to personal experiences, I've used Fluval and currently run an Eheim Filter and Heater.

For your setup, I would consider, in order of importance:
    What type of plants you want to keep (will determine if you need 'more than avg' lights)
    Tank size (as this will determine what filter size you need)
    Canister filter (minimum I recommend is 4x turnover per hour)
    Lighting
    Heater
    API Master Test Kit
    Substrate/Gravel
    Air pump

All that said, you'll probably be able to find some great 'all-in-one' deals (i.e. hood with lights, tank, filter etc) that will be great for what you're trying to achieve. I just have no idea on costs in Canada.

I know here in Australia I wouldn't get any change out of $1000AUD+ for a 75G setup (assuming a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft), but then I do like to spend money.

Just something I've noticed in life, sometimes spending a little more now, can save you a lot later on.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. ItamarironiValued MemberMember

Thanks, I just got the following deal:
    " I have a 75 gallon that's 4' x 18" it's about five months old I am moving at the end of the month and can't take it with me it has glass lid with an aqua clear 500 water filter a big water heater not sure how many watts lights and stand this was used for freshwater in excellent shape let me know if you're interested I would like around $100"

is that good?

6. ItamarironiValued MemberMember

(Canadian $)

7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I'm not sure if it's a good deal. But $100 for all that sounds pretty good.

The best way to figure it out would be to source all the products new, and then add up all the prices. There's heaps of online shops that you can easily get an idea on what it would cost you.

I imagine the tank alone would probably cost more than $100 new.

PS - you can use the edit button to to edit your post, rather than adding a new post to thread ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice