help im so sad

queenbobby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
today my fire eel died... it was onlt 8cm and had no obvious signs of ill health. its in a 350l tank and had been eating fine up until a couple of days ago. this morning i found it thrashing itself on the sand then later it died
i thought i was doing my fish a favour by chnaging 20% water every 4 days now the lfs man said it down to too many water changes.
i use dechlorinator.
the water readings today are
ph 7
nitrite 0.1
ammonia 0.6
nitrate 5

i have fed it earthworms from the garden which i did wash?
its in with 3 large clown loaches
reedfish
pictus cat.

i changed 30% water last night when i saw it was lethargic...shall i change more now?
got some cycle left from a while a go will that help consume the ammonia or shall i add ammolock?
help..my fav fish neil the eel had died.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry you lost your fire eel.

With due respect to the LFS, ammonia and nitrites are toxic. Fish, eels etc can only fight these toxins for so long before it wears them down and they are no longer able to fight.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Aw, I am sorry you lost him.

I notice you have ammonia and nitrite readings which is toxic to your fish. Most likely the reason your eel was thrashing around and then died. What are you using for a test kit? Having toxins in the water means you should be doing partial daily water change until you get ammonia 0, nitrIte 0 and nitrAte less then 20. Getting a bottle of Prime water conditioner will help also. It converts ammonia to a non-toxic form and removes nitrite and nitrate for 24 hrs until your next partial water change. Amquel Plus works too.

Cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria, it eats up the ammonia so the real nitrifying bacteria cant establish. That's why it says add it after each water change. I suggest in not using it.

queenbobby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
havent heard of them products in uk...will look for them..any point in changing water now

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think amquel is available in the UK, not Prime.
Look for a conditioner that detox's (not removes) ammonia.
It would be a good idea to do daily water changes until the tank is cycled.

Good luck, and again, I'm really sorry about your eel. It stinks to lose one.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom