Help! I'm not sure what's wrong with my tank.

1. AspenPaige Initiate Member

I'm a beginner to all of this and followed all of the directions to setting up my 10 gallon freshwater tank. As I poured the water into my tank I saw that it filmy left lines on the glass. I wasn't sure what to do so I finished the tank, wiped the lines off as best as I could, and added Aqua safe and start right to the water. I'm letting the heater and filter run over night and seeing if that worked. I think there could of been some kind of soap in the water. Should I dump it out and start again in the morning??

2. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hm what did you use to put the water in the tank? A bucket used for other things around the house? If so you should dump that water and start again. You really should have a bucket that brought from new only and i mean only is used for your fish tanks. That way you know no harmful detergents have been used in it ever. Other than that, not knowing what the filmy lines were i cant suggest anything else. Hope this helps :)

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah as far as I've heard, any traces of soap pretty much compromises the water. It's pretty deadly to fish, not to mention beneficial bacteria.
    Be sure to rinse everything you intend to use for the tank with nice hot water, and no soap, Decorations, bucket, gravel, gravel vacuum, plant pruning tools, the tank itself, the filter, the heater. You may or may not want to rinse any live plants you put in there. They won't have soap or anything like that on them but some people clean them to avoid getting snails.

Once you've had your setup a while and your filter gets gunked up you should rinse it in tank water in your bucket during a water change, not tap water, as that will kill beneficial bacteria in the filter.

Be sure to research the nitrogen cycle and pick yourself up an API Freshwater Master Test Kit!

Tags: