Help! I'm Not Sure What's Happening With "blue"!

Zandra

Reaction score
He's not eating, and has just been chilling at the bottom of the tank! I'm pretty sure the other fish is starting to notice he doesn't feel good kinda looks like she's been picking on him.. she however looks great and is still trying to get fed everytime someone walks by the tank... what do I do to save Blue?

Attachments

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Zandra said:
He's not eating, and has just been chilling at the bottom of the tank! I'm pretty sure the other fish is starting to notice he doesn't feel good kinda looks like she's been picking on him.. she however looks great and is still trying to get fed everytime someone walks by the tank... what do I do to save Blue?
Oh gosh, he looks terrible. Can you tell us more about the tank?
Tank size?
Fitered? Heated?
Cycled? Temperature?
What other tank mates do you have?
How long have you had him?
How long have you had the tank?
Whats your water change schedule? What percentage do you change?
Have you treated him for anything?
Blue is a jack dempsey, right? What do you mean by “she”? Another jack?
It seems blue has cloudy eyes and fungus growing on his body.

Zandra

Reaction score
It's about a 100 gallon tank, his only other friends is a female fish of the same species but orange, and a bottom feeder. It's temperatured, I've had the fish three years now, they were left at the home I rented by some people with drug issues. I keep the tank at around 85°, it's filtered and the water gets a quarter change every 4 to five months. Since I wasn't the one to purchase I'm not really fully sure what type of fish they are unfortunately.

Hipsterkipster

Reaction score
Zandra said:
It's about a 100 gallon tank, his only other friends is a female fish of the same species but orange, and a bottom feeder. It's temperatured, I've had the fish three years now, they were left at the home I rented by some people with drug issues. I keep the tank at around 85°, it's filtered and the water gets a quarter change every 4 to five months. Since I wasn't the one to purchase I'm not really fully sure what type of fish they are unfortunately.

Every 4 to 5 months??? That's like three times a year... We usually keep fish in healthy conditions with at least a water change every week...

Mind doing a water change for a start?

Clean water will help all of your fish.

Zandra

Reaction score
I've decided to take him in to vet or aquatic fish store to get some actual answers. Thanks everyone

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Zandra said:
I've decided to take him in to vet or aquatic fish store to get some actual answers. Thanks everyone
That of course is your prerogative but I would be willing to bet this guy is suffering from living in bad conditions. If you in fact only do a water change every 4 or 5 months I am amazed that he has lived this long.

Water changes are necessary not only to keep the water fresh but tap water also contains minerals necessary for a healthy tank. Just like we need good healthy food to thrive this guy needs not only good food but also the minerals that are in our water.

Simply put all those minerals are gone and this guy is living in stale water. Fish have been known to live long lives in bad water because it happens gradually and they adapt but eventually they can't adapt any more and this is what happens to them. He is alive but isn't thriving

If you want help we can help but you have to be willing to answer questions and we can guide you from there. Totally your choice.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This looks like a Green Terror Cichild.

If you decide to change the water I would start slowly first week, like 20% first week and increase it by 5% the following weeks.

A fish vet will likely tell you it’s a bacteria problem due to poor conditions. You would have just spent money on something you already know about. But as previous mentioned it’s up to you.

If the idea of maintaining a 100g tank is too much lifting and stuff everybody here can tell you how to make it easier and simpler.

Good luck!

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Poor fish. You need to be doing regular water changes for sure. Like WEEKLY, not 4-5 months. Im shocked its still alive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom