Help! I'm a newbie

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
HI, i have the tank set up, no fish, started nit cycle, reading everything i can find ( as don't want to harm/kill any fish if i can help it)but after keeping goldfish most of my life breeding had never crossed my mind! i've been reading on here about the fry that have been born etc and have just thought OMG! i now have so many questions!  :-[ Am i going to have baby fish coming out of my ears? do i leave them to it? what do i do with them? etc, etc!!!!! PLEASE inform me. i am the sort of person that would keep all babies born to any of my pets so am worried as i already live in a zoo( 1 hamster, 2 dogs, 2 rabbits,1 horse) and sadly i'm not rich! So looking forward to tank( small 28 ltr to start and learn from) hope to do as best as i can. Any info on starting up would be great, i have changed from a big pet store to a very down to earth small shop and they are great, makes a huge difference as they have several tanks each at home, they actually care not just a job.Help anyone? 

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
First, welcome to Fish Lore

I do not have any experience with goldfish and their breeding, so I cannot tell you about it. But if you do not yet know about the Nitrogen Cycle, this is a "must" for a good start. Here is an article about the Nitrogen Cycle: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm, and here are many other useful articles: https://www.fishlore.com/Beginners.htm.

If you can, get tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH, as they'll be needed during the cycle and afterwards, throughought the entire fish-keeping experience. Your tank will be cycled and safe for fish when ammonia = 0 and nitrite = 0. However, do not add too many fish at once, as this may cause a sudden ammonia and/or nitrite spike.

A 28 liter tank is about a 7 US gallon tank, which is very small. Make sure that you research any fish before you buy it, as most of the fish will be too large (when adult) for your tank. Aim for fish as small as Neon Tetras, and if you decide to get any such fish, do not get too many of them, 7 being the maximum. Or, you could get a Betta for your 7 gallon tank - if you're considering this, check with Chickadee as she knows all about Bettas.

Good luck

P.S. Remember not to rinse your filter media in tap water (if your tap water is chlorinated), as chlorine in your tap water will kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter media. Instead, rinse the filter media in your tank water (set some tank water aside in a bucket, and rinse everything there).

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish rarely reproduce unless they are conditioned with a very rich diet. You can sex them. At breeding season (spring) white spots appear on the gills of male goldfish. Hope this helps.

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks for your replies but i don't think i'd made myself clear :-[ I have lots of experience of goldfish but i am now starting up a tropical tank. I am aware that it is a small tank and am aware of the type of fish i should start with. I have heard about lots of people that set up a large tropical tank with no knowledge or exprience, throw in a full stock of fish on first day harm and kill many of them, as sadly i did with my first goldfish tank. I have no desire to do that again, that is why i'm starting small and my thought is if i get this right i can use it as a quarantine tank if all goes well and i get a huge tank. At the moment I am still trying to get the water right as our tap water has a high ph and distilled water not easy to get where i live. i am getting alot of help from my new fish store, they ask for a water sample to test before they will sell any fish to anyone. Hope i can get it right! My question to you was with tropical fish will they breed alot? Before i go ahead and buy them i need knowledge! if they do what advice have you ???

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, how big is your tank?

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
28ltrs which is just over 7 gallons.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You need to research the profiles here on FishLore, and also other sites like Mongabay. for infomation about your fish. I think using your current tank for quarantine is a great idea. A 20 gallon long is a good size, and it won't break the bank. Most of the fish folks have in their aquariums won't do well in a 7 gallon tank. All your livebearers (guppies, mollys, platys, endlers etc.) will have lots of babies if you're not careful. My experience with fish that lay eggs is that if you don't want a lot of babies, simply leave the eggs in your tank with their parents, and they most likely will get eaten by the inhabitants of the tank.

I 2nd Isabella's suggestions about getting test kits to do your own testing. When your tank starts having problems, it's always when the store isn't open, and you will get tired of taking samples over there while your tank is cycling. One of the cheapest ways to get a master test kit is to go to the PetSmart website and find the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit. Click to the right and choose the master test kit. Then copy the page with the $13.49 price showing and take it to your local PetSmart where they should honor the online price. Of course, see if you mom and pop store has the master test kit, but it's probably around $30.00. Sometimes the stores will have them on sale. I got mine locally for $15.00. This master test kit is what is usually recommended here because of it's reliability and it's economical.

Don't worry too much about the ph level of your tank. A stable ph is much more important for the health of your fish than what the ph actually is. A lot of the chemicals that are available for use in your tank do more harm than good, and anything that alters your ph chemically usually causes a roller coaster ride trying to keep it stable, and that can kill your fish. You can naturally lower your ph by adding a small piece of driftwood if you like.

Just keep asking questions as you go along. That's what we are here for. Welcome to FishLore! ;D

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks for last post,  abig help I have found a test kit, cost £20. I will definately keep the questions coming as and when i need to. It is great to know that there is awealth of experience out there  that i can draw upon. Thanks again

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom