Help Iding Cichlids

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by someperson, Aug 22, 2019.

1. someperson

somepersonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    4 years
    So I have a few cichlids that I would like help with IDing.

The first one I bought from a breeder and he said it was a Gold Kawanga. From the pictures I've seen of them he doesn't quite look like one, maybe it's just a weird variety of it's a hybrid? He sounded very sure but maybe he had some crossbreed and didn't know. Here's a picture of when I brought him home, sometimes he'll look like that and others he'll be almost full yellow.
    IMG_3269.

The rest are peacock cichlids. I got them at petsmart. Sorry about the blurry one, I had taken that one when I first got him when I still had my old light. IMG_3270.
    IMG_2880.JPG
    IMG_2879.JPG
    It's weird how that last one has more of rounded fins then the others.

Hope you guys can help, thank you!

2. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,073
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Color is off on the first one because he's in a bag. Let him settle into a tank and then see what he looks like.

Last one appears to be a Peacock x Mbuna hybrid. Any other Peacocks from Pestmart are likely also hybrid.

3. aae0130

aae0130Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +448
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It’s hard to tell while in the bag. It could be a kenyi. (Mbuna)

4. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I can't Identify the Mbuna. Regarding the Aulonocara, I agree with @chromedome52 that Peacock #1 & #3 are hybrids.
    # 1 might be a hybrid variant labeled "Blue Shadow". Its more or less a Royal Blue w/ more bling. I keep an adult & will post a pic for comparison.
    # 2 is a jacobfreibergi (Eureka Red)
    # 3 is also a jacobfreibergi type (hybrid).
    You scored pretty well for Petsmart, all your Peacocks have a lot of potential. They looked "juiced" so don't be surprised if their colors fade. As they mature, the color returns. 20190703_100158.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,073
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's not a Kenyi. I say that so often around here, I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Kindergarten Cop - "It's not a toomah!" (tumor in his inimitable accent.):rolleyes:

It is orange/gold, not yellow/gold like a male Metriaclima lombardoi. There aren't enough bars, and the bars are the wrong shape. Kenyi have bars that start at the dorsal and taper down toward the bottom. Males also have no black in the ventrals, anal, or caudal fin. In fact, this fish has absolutely nothing to suggest that it could even be a hybrid with Kenyi.

Metriaclima lombardoi, the Kenyi, is popular because it is so distinct from other Mbuna. I think that's why people always jump to that name for any barred Mbuna, but look closely, think about it, even do a direct comparison. And if you're not 110% certain, don't guess. It confuses people.

@someperson , sorry to drop this in your thread. I think once the fish settles in and colors up, it probably will look like a Gold Kawanga. As I said before, it's scared from being in a bag.

6. OP
    OP
    someperson

somepersonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    4 years
    @chromedome52 that explains the weird body shape. The kawanga I bought in May of this year and he still looks similar to that maybe a bit more gold. Was thinking it had nothing to do with Kenyi either lol thanks for your help.

@A201 Wow yours is beautiful. I wonder if the jacobfreibergis will be too aggressive in my tank, guess I'll find out. Thank you for your help.