Help Identifying This Creature

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tristansustainable, Apr 10, 2019.

1. TristansustainableNew MemberMember

I am new to aquariums and I've bitten off a pretty big project. I am trying to build a self-sustaining freshwater aquarium. Things are going well, plants established nicely and a little algae growth. I ordered daphnia pulex for the lowest form of animal life and got excited when they arrived and dumped them right into the tank (stupid I know...I should have used a quarantine tank first). I think a creature hitch-hiked in with the daphnia order and I don't know what it is. Can someone identify this for me?

Attached Files:

2. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Hmm... looks like some kind of larvae maybe?

3. TristansustainableNew MemberMember

That might be why I'm striking out on my search for the little guy. I thought at first it was a hydra but ruled that out...then I thought planaria but doesn't look quite right either. It swims by kind of bending itself in half and then thrashing out.

4. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

Yeah, definitely sounds like larvae. Perhaps you could use google? There some way to search based off an image, I just haven't quite figured it out yet.

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Looks like a mozzie wriggler

6. TristansustainableNew MemberMember

Thank you! That helped immensely. I think it's a mosquito larvae. Gross! Since I'm in Florida and its springtime it probably didn't hitchhike in with the daphnia. It probably got planted there by a mosquito invader! Thanks for the help!

7. QueenLittleLizardValued MemberMember

You're very welcome! Just returning the favor. I can't tell you how many times I have been helped by someone on this forum.