Help Identifying Snail in Tank?

Goldfish4life

Hello!

Do you know what this baby is? I am wondering if I need to remove it or not. Please see pictures. It's about the size of a head of a pin. It's clear on the body and the shell is a sort of transparent yellowish-brown color.

I do have plants in there, and one mystery snail. (And Shrimp)

Thank you!
Bailey

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_155749073.jpg
    PXL_20220622_155749073.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20220622_155916368.jpg
    PXL_20220622_155916368.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 29

sslliitthheerr

common pond snail or bladder snail maybe?

Goldfish4life

common pond snail or bladder snail maybe?
Is that something I need to remove from my tank?

Thanks!
Bailey

richiep

Yes remove if you dont want to get over run with them, some don't mind them others think they are a pest

sslliitthheerr

Thanks!
Bailey
honestly, I would not because both species are pretty easy to keep and require almost no help. they are also a good addition to the aesthetic of your tank from what I can see of it. plus, they are extremely hardy snails. I like them but a lot of others don't. if you did want to get rid of them, you could add assassin snails to eat them or you could add a betta, maybe even some crayfish. I like them but it is all dependent of if you are going to get a predator. if you start to see more showing up get a loach and some assassin snails or on of the other fish i told you about to control the population. I see them as helpful tank cleaners though so think about it and don't get any predators yet, only if you start to see more and more around the tank.
Yes remove if you dont want to get over run with them, some don't mind them others think they are a pest
i mean yeah but you can also get a species that is a predator to the snail and then be able to keep them. plus they are very helpful to cleaning the tank.

Thanks!
Bailey
also, if you took the last thing i said the wrong way I meant don't get rid of them
Hello!

Do you know what this baby is? I am wondering if I need to remove it or not. Please see pictures. It's about the size of a head of a pin. It's clear on the body and the shell is a sort of transparent yellowish-brown color.

I do have plants in there, and one mystery snail. (And Shrimp)

Thank you!
Bailey
could you posibly try to get some better pics

Goldfish4life

I actually found a second snail. This one looks different - two photos are attached of the clear new one, it's roundish but has a flat side of its shell.
honestly, I would not because both species are pretty easy to keep and require almost no help. they are also a good addition to the aesthetic of your tank from what I can see of it. plus, they are extremely hardy snails. I like them but a lot of others don't. if you did want to get rid of them, you could add assassin snails to eat them or you could add a betta, maybe even some crayfish. I like them but it is all dependent of if you are going to get a predator. if you start to see more showing up get a loach and some assassin snails or on of the other fish i told you about to control the population. I see them as helpful tank cleaners though so think about it and don't get any predators yet, only if you start to see more and more around the tank.

i mean yeah but you can also get a species that is a predator to the snail and then be able to keep them. plus they are very helpful to cleaning the tank.

also, if you took the last thing i said the wrong way I meant don't get rid of them

could you posibly try to get some better pics

It's a little bigger, but not by much and it's clear!

I've also attached other photos of the yellowish snail for easier identification hopefully - it seems flatish.

Thanks,
Bailey

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_162921379.jpg
    PXL_20220622_162921379.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220622_162926649.jpg
    PXL_20220622_162926649.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220622_164619272.jpg
    PXL_20220622_164619272.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220622_164622342.jpg
    PXL_20220622_164622342.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220622_164805128.jpg
    PXL_20220622_164805128.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 23

V1K

The clear one is a ramshorn snail. It will lose transparency as it grows. Personally, I like ramshorn snails. The smaller one is bladder snail.
In fish tanks both species can be hunted by fish, e.g. my rosy barbs nearly eliminated both. But since this is shrimp-only tank, with no fish to control the snail population, if you want to keep them you need to be extra careful not to overfeed, or else they'll breed like rabbits.

Goldfish4life

The clear one is a ramshorn snail. It will lose transparency as it grows. Personally, I like ramshorn snails. The smaller one is bladder snail.
In fish tanks both species can be hunted by fish, e.g. my rosy barbs nearly eliminated both. But since this is shrimp-only tank, with no fish to control the snail population, if you want to keep them you need to be extra careful not to overfeed, or else they'll breed like rabbits.
Will the Ramshorn Snail's shell heal? It looks like it was smushed or grew against the glass or something where the shell is 100% flat on one side.

StarGirl

Will the Ramshorn Snail's shell heal? It looks like it was smushed or grew against the glass or something where the shell is 100% flat on one side.
They grow like that. Pretty strange but normal.

sslliitthheerr

are you going to get rid of the bladder snail?

richiep

The other thing you may want to think about is female mystery snails can carry sperm for months so if it is a female and she dose lay eggs you could be in a quite a lot of snails and in a shrimp tank thats not good

Goldfish4life

The other thing you may want to think about is female mystery snails can carry sperm for months so if it is a female and she dose lay eggs you could be in a quite a lot of snails and in a shrimp tank thats not good
I was able to sex the Mystery Snail and it turns out it's a boy! So we shouldn't have any baby Mysteries. I will wait until the Ramshorn gets bigger to sex them. I am undecided on if I will keep the Bladder Snail. Thank you all for your help!!!

Bailey

Sewerrat

I personally like both but would put them in a separate tank until you decide if you want to keep them once they start breeding they can be difficult to get out of a tank completely

ForBettaorForWorse

I don't know if you can sex ramshorn snails like you can mystery snails. (If so, huh, cool)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
  • GreenPhantom
  • Snails
Replies
Views
GreenPhantom
Replies
Views