Help Identifying Potential Issues?

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Everyone,
Thanks in advance for any help!

I've had a betta for about two weeks now. He's in a 5 gallon filtered tank with a heater. The tank has been cycled for at least three months. I had some tetras in there that I moved to a bigger tank because they were fighting each other when I put the betta in (surprisingly, they weren't fighting the betta or visa versa).

So two things:
1) The last Betta I had got pop eye in just one eye (or so i think) and I caught it too late. This betta has one black eye and one white eye so it's hard for me to tell-- can someone tell me what they think?

2) When I first got him, he was black and white which I LOVED; however, in the two weeks that I've had him, his nose has started to get some brown spots on it. Is his color maturing? Is he becoming a calico/koi or is this something I should be concerned about?

Side note: While you're looking at his pick can you tell me if his fins look okay? They're started to change a little (mostly the top fins).

- he swims around quite a bit
- has a HUGE appetite
eklfnrlekhfa
oiwejfaow]0 ]91b
Tank Parameters:
5 gallon
76-77 degrees
full filter/fully cycled
GH: 7
KH: 5
PH: 7.8
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = .5
Copper = 0

- I've been dosing the tank with API liquid CO2 Booster (semi regularly -- aka almost daily per the instructions)
- I use API Leaf Zone weekly (per instructions)
- I do about 25-50% water changes weekly (when their on the high end it's mostly because it's a small tank and I get a little overzealous with the siphon)
- API Stress Coat Plus and sometimes a drop or two of Prime for fresh water changes
- I have some buried forms of calcium and I also put in a sprinkle or two of ground up egg shells because I have 3 snails in there as well (one mystery and two red racer neuritis)
- I've got some plants and cholo wood as well (and substrate obviously)

That's literally it haha

Just wonder if there is something going on with him. I like him a lot and want to make sure he's healthy

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
1) His colouration does make it difficult to tell is he has popeye. So far in the pictures I don't think so, but I would like to see a picture from above him.

2) He is a marble betta with the jumping gene which can cause him to develop other colours over time. Perfectly normal and interesting to read more about. His fins look fine to me.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ooh, jumping gene... I will definitely look into that! sounds interesting :emoji_thinking:. I wish I knew more about betta types-- also great to know that his pattern type is considered marble.

Thank you for the insight! I will try to get an aerial view in the morning when the lights are back on.

Thank you so much for the extra info and insight. appreciate the quick response!

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
H
1) His colouration does make it difficult to tell is he has popeye. So far in the pictures I don't think so, but I would like to see a picture from above him.

2) He is a marble betta with the jumping gene which can cause him to develop other colours over time. Perfectly normal and interesting to read more about. His fins look fine to me.
Hi Repolie--
Hoping you can still help me out. Here are some aerial pics-- it's just so difficult to tell (again) because one eye is black and the other is white/clear.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
H

Hi Repolie--
Hoping you can still help me out. Here are some aerial pics-- it's just so difficult to tell (again) because one eye is black and the other is white/clear.

Thoughts?
Both of his eyes look to be even so I don't think he has popeye.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, i suppose I'm just being a worry wart.
Thank you for your help!

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Hi Repolie-- since you provided me with the jumping gene information, I was wondering if you could tell me how long the pink color lasts? It looks like I started this thread on June 18th and it is now August 16 and my Betta is still pink. I can 100% confirm he is slowly changing his colors. Attached is a side-by-side of when I first got him verses a couple of weeks ago. VERY cool to see him change. He's already gotten black lines on his dorsal fin since the last picture was taken.

I know patients is a virtue and whatnot hahah but I'm just curious. Is there something pushing him to change his colors? Perhaps stress? or him trying to escape the aquarium light? or blend in with his surroundings more?

Note: He's not AS pink as the picture on the right leads you to believe, I just changed the contrast on it so I could better see where the new color was on him. I can take a better one if you'd like.

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Repolie-- since you provided me with the jumping gene information, I was wondering if you could tell me how long the pink color lasts? It looks like I started this thread on June 18th and it is now August 16 and my Betta is still pink. I can 100% confirm he is slowly changing his colors. Attached is a side-by-side of when I first got him verses a couple of weeks ago. VERY cool to see him change. He's already gotten black lines on his dorsal fin since the last picture was taken.

I know patients is a virtue and whatnot hahah but I'm just curious. Is there something pushing him to change his colors? Perhaps stress? or him trying to escape the aquarium light? or blend in with his surroundings more?

Note: He's not AS pink as the picture on the right leads you to believe, I just changed the contrast on it so I could better see where the new color was on him. I can take a better one if you'd like.
How long a colour stays varies between individuals. I've seen some change completely change to a different colour in a month, others over several months.

This is something passed down by genetics so there is no factors you could influence that would change the process.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long a colour stays varies between individuals. I've seen some change completely change to a different colour in a month, others over several months.

This is something passed down by genetics so there is no factors you could influence that would change the process.
Okay, thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom