Help Identifying Possible Pregnant Patty

kennedybrittain

Reaction score
Hi everyone, weve noticed recently that one of our two platys has been getting extremely large in the stomach area and were trying to determine if she could be pregnant. The other platy has been following her constantly the past couple days. After doing my own research I think she could be but I dont see any gravid spot so Im looking for a second opinion. (See photos) Thanks!

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I miss my mickey mouse platy ( tomatoes )... Can u get a closer pic of the analfin to verify its a female. But as you said with the other one following it around that is usually what they do to eat the fry as soon as they come out. Well thats been my experience with my guppies which are also live bearers.

jkkgron2

Valued Member
Reaction score
She definitely seems pregnant but if you can’t see a gravid spot then you may be over feeding. How often do you feed them each day?

kennedybrittain

Reaction score
Awh yes they are pretty cute! Her name was Paul but we quickly changed it to Paula once we realized she was a girl. Yes I also read the males can sometimes do that so I put her in our other tank by herself just in case. She's been hiding a lot lately so I wasn't able to get a picture but I did verify that she has the fan-like analfin and our other platy has the straighter fin seen in males.

kennedybrittain

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
She definitely seems pregnant but if you can’t see a gravid spot then you may be over feeding. How often do you feed them each day?
Thanks for the reply. We only feed them once a day and our other platy is much smaller compared to her size now. She's continued to get bigger for the last couple of weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom