Help identifying our new female

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We started our journey in the world of Bettas the Saturday after Christmas when we picked up Super Mario (who sadly just died early this month of dropsy after finally overcoming a stubborn case of fin rot he had when we bought him) so we're real newbies and hopefully this post won't have too many dumb questions.

Anyways - Last week, I was in our local Petco (only option in our small town) to pick up a few supplies for our tanks when this little white beauty swam over to the side of her cup, looked right at me and asked me to take her home. I couldn't pick her up that day because she'd be in the car all day but i just couldn't resist the most white betta that i've ever seen at Petco and fortunately she was there the next day (probably because so many ignore female bettas), so she's now a member of our family. We had a spare 5-gallon hex tank in the garage that I got going and is now her betta castle. I've noticed her fins have this beautiful cellophane kind of look to them and was wondering if anyone can help me identify if her fins are 'translucent' (I believe that's an official betta color?) and how pure her white color is? Is this a rare or unique coloring for a female betta? Also, is her tail a delta-ray? It seems to be about 90 degrees but that could just be in the eyes of her betta parents. I'm attaching the best photo I've managed to take of her (1st try so hope it works) - she seems to love making photos hard to take - she's a smart little fiesty character.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aaww she's so cute! Not sure about her tail type but it does look to be delta. Her larger fins indicate she may be about 3 months old or more. She has probably reached her adult coloring so she may not change much more. Yes, pure white Bettas are not that common. She's a real beauty! I bought a tiny white female a while back when she was about 5-6 weeks old. Her coloring has changed a little since she's gotten older and now she has some red on her tail and black and red speckles on her body. She's still beautiful and unique though! 
Congratulations on your new little girl! You will find female Bettas are delightful, feisty, intelligent and generally healthy little fish. Please keep us updated on her progress!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't identify her, but she is BEAUTIFUL. I have been wanting an all white betta and I can't find one. Lucky you!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very pretty! White Bettas like that are hard to find.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
Aaww she's so cute! Not sure about her tail type but it does look to be delta. Her larger fins indicate she may be about 3 months old or more. She has probably reached her adult coloring so she may not change much more. Yes, pure white Bettas are not that common. She's a real beauty! I bought a tiny white female a while back when she was about 5-6 weeks old. Her coloring has changed a little since she's gotten older and now she has some red on her tail and black and red speckles on her body. She's still beautiful and unique though!
Congratulations on your new little girl! You will find female Bettas are delightful, feisty, intelligent and generally healthy little fish. Please keep us updated on her progress!
Thanks for the info! She is a little character for sure, you should see her swimming around her tank with half a pea barely in her little mouth.. like a little dog carrying around a giant bone.

I see you have a number of female bettas - isn't it sad that too many people sort of just pass by the females for the males? We're in Petco a lot - we just always seem to be drawn in whenever we're near it to look at the Bettas and I often watch shoppers limiting themselves to the males. I love male bettas too, but like female bettas a bit more. My wife on the other hand, likes the males more so we'll probably always have at least a couple of both sexes. I was wondering what you use to divide your tanks & where you get it? I'm not sure if we will or not, but we have considered dividing tanks as we're out of room currently for tanks but never seem to be able to pass the Bettas without feeling that urge to buy a special one. I think we could have 100 of them and still feel that - dangerous going into petco... Thanks again and I look forward to discussing our Bettas more. I'm sure you have a million stories, being a more experienced Betta owner.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What a gorgeous Betta! Looking at all of the Betta pictures on this board makes me want to get a Betta too!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Isabella said:
What a gorgeous Betta! Looking at all of the Betta pictures on this board makes me want to get a Betta too!
LOL.. I gotta warn you - once you catch the Betta Bug, you'll have a real hard time getting rid of it.. not that you'd want to. I'd recommend a Betta to anyone.. they're such smart, fiesty, little characters that I was totally surprised when I got my wife her 1st Betta for a present the Saturday after Christmas (the day after a shipment came in). I thought "this is nice, a little fish to watch swim around and that's it", but the depth of character they have and their ability to win your heart really was unexpected. We have platys and corys too and while I love the little characters and enjoy them, I feel a real difference with Bettas and love to spend time each day talking to them. They might not care too much what exactly I'm saying, but they sure eat up the attention and it's so relaxing to me, especially on those LONG days.

Well, I hope that I've helped infect you now.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore! She is very pretty girl. Congratulations! We are looing forward to hearing stories about all of your Bettas. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nmwierman1977 said:
Welcome to fishlore! She is very pretty girl. Congratulations! We are looing forward to hearing stories about all of your Bettas. Natalie
Thanks. I guess I'm a proud Betta daddy with little Angel - she's the only Betta who picked me out so she's got me good, even though I love the boys too and Sora was my idea also since I couldn't resist his blue eyes and peach color. Angel's tank is next to the headboard of the bed on my side - see what my wife started with her little Super Mario? She's learning (or teaching me) pretty quick (we got her 3/12) and already likes to do her dance on the side of her tank closest to me to grab some attention whenever she's in the mood to be talked to. I wish I could post video of her when she gets a pea dinner - swimming around so proud with 1/4 of a pea sticking out of her little mouth.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have a video of her you can post on youtube free of charge. One of the oter member's on here does that a lot. I can't remember who, my memory fails me. We would love to see a video of her. They are so much fun to watch. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nmwierman1977 said:
If you have a video of her you can post on youtube free of charge. One of the oter member's on here does that a lot. I can't remember who, my memory fails me. We would love to see a video of her. They are so much fun to watch. Natalie
You know I didn't even think of that.. duh. I'll capture her next pea dinner and post it on youtube with a link here - I hope.. things are so hectic with an upcoming trip.. I'll not see my Angel for 2 weeks :'( but my wife's not seen her family for 2 years so it'll be a good trip. Thanks for the tip. BTW: Does your betta do the same thing when fed a piece of pea?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, my very first Betta did. However, I had to fast him for 2 days in order to get him to eat them, but after that he loved them and always did a little dance for them. He died a few months's ago. I only had him for 6 mo. and his death was at the fault of myself because I was medicating him for finrot and was using Melafix and at the time no one knew that it was a dangerous for them and could kill them and so that's how he died.

I currently have no Betta's. My other Betta that I had more recently, Royell had developed some kind of internal bacterial infection and had gotten dropsy. I cured him of the dropsy, but he ended getting hole-in-the head days after and died anyway. He I only had for 3 weeks.

My third one, I actually just bought off of Aquabid last weekend, and the woman who I bought him from wouldn't send him overnight and so he travelled for 5 days from Louisiana and I received him today dead. She sent him USPS priority, which is only supposed to be 2-3 days, but I live in Phoenix, AZ so it took longer. I have a thread about the whole thing. It's called I found RJ(Royell Junior) if you want to read it.

So, my tanks are currently empty. Hopefully, they will be full again soon. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nmwierman1977 said:
Yes, my very first Betta did. However, I had to fast him for 2 days in order to get him to eat them, but after that he loved them and always did a little dance for them. He died a few months's ago. I only had him for 6 mo. and his death was at the fault of myself because I was medicating him for finrot and was using Melafix and at the time no one knew that it was a dangerous for them and could kill them and so that's how he died.

I currently have no Betta's. My other Betta that I had more recently, Royell had developed some kind of internal bacterial infection and had gotten dropsy. I cured him of the dropsy, but he ended getting hole-in-the head days after and died anyway. He I only had for 3 weeks.

My third one, I actually just bought off of Aquabid last weekend, and the woman who I bought him from wouldn't send him overnight and so he travelled for 5 days from Louisiana and I received him today dead. She sent him USPS priority, which is only supposed to be 2-3 days, but I live in Phoenix, AZ so it took longer. I have a thread about the whole thing. It's called I found RJ(Royell Junior) if you want to read it.

So, my tanks are currently empty. Hopefully, they will be full again soon. Natalie
Yea, I just was reading that post (trying to get caught up on posts now that I'm getting some computer time.) and I am really shocked she would send any living thing USPS - anybody who's shipped even a few things knows priority can take a week. (I'd often get packages in Denver that took that long USPS priority.) What did you use to cure dropsy? Our Super Mario got that & was gone the next day so I'd love to have some of what you used on hand should we need it again. Mario had just gotten over fin rot when he got dropsy.. it's sad when the little guys get over 1 thing, just to get another.. we feel for you there. I hate how fish stores sell **** that can kill your fish.. we got some anti-algae stuff one time that almost wiped out every fish we had, so really it's the store's fault for selling Melafix when it's known to be dangerous, you can bet they know it.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I used maracyn2 and maracyn(maracyn 2 actually cures it) and I also used Furan-2 after the maracyns were done with their course. Furan-2 also helps to cure Dropsy. He fought for 16 days, so I actually had him a month because the first 2 weeks he seemed healthy, but obviously wasn't and I just didn't know until he developed dropsy.

I don't understand why she wouldn't do things the way I wanted them done. Some of those people are just stubborn and would rather do things their way instead of listening to the customer, which is wrong. I had also asked her to put an ice pack in the box with him so he wouldn't over heat and she didn't do that either. The water was very warm when he came. The temps this week in AZ have been in the high 90's and I told her that. I guess since she was the seller she thought she knew best and I knew nothing. Oh well there isn't much I can do about it now. I did email her again and demanded a new fish free of charge including free shipping and I wanted him overnighted. I don't know if she will abide by it. Probably not. I guess I just won't buy from her anymore. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nmwierman1977 said:
I used maracyn2 and maracyn(maracyn 2 actually cures it) and I also used Furan-2 after the maracyns were done with their course. Furan-2 also helps to cure Dropsy. He fought for 16 days, so I actually had him a month because the first 2 weeks he seemed healthy, but obviously wasn't and I just didn't know until he developed dropsy.

I don't understand why she wouldn't do things the way I wanted them done. Some of those people are just stubborn and would rather do things their way instead of listening to the customer, which is wrong. I had also asked her to put an ice pack in the box with him so he wouldn't over heat and she didn't do that either. The water was very warm when he came. The temps this week in AZ have been in the high 90's and I told her that. I guess since she was the seller she thought she knew best and I knew nothing. Oh well there isn't much I can do about it now. I did email her again and demanded a new fish free of charge including free shipping and I wanted him overnighted. I don't know if she will abide by it. Probably not. I guess I just won't buy from her anymore. Natalie
Thanks, I'll look for all 3 of those at the local Petco & in Denver should I not find all 3 here and add them to the shelf of meds/treatments in the fish supplies cabinet.

I wouldn't blame you for not buying from her again - either she is totally new at shipping fish, in which case she's a risky buy at best, or she's a rip-off seller who knows better but doesn't care. Perhaps you can find a breeder near you, since I think you're looking for a Betta not from a LFS or chain store. Maybe there is someone on here who would know of a site or list or reputable Betta breeders around the US.. I'd love to find one near us.. a white halfmoon male would be a big desire of mine right now.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Thanks for the info! She is a little character for sure, you should see her swimming around her tank with half a pea barely in her little mouth.. like a little dog carrying around a giant bone. 

I see you have a number of female bettas - isn't it sad that too many people sort of just pass by the females for the males? We're in Petco a lot - we just always seem to be drawn in whenever we're near it to look at the Bettas and I often watch shoppers limiting themselves to the males. I love male bettas too, but like female bettas a bit more.  My wife on the other hand, likes the males more so we'll probably always have at least a couple of both sexes.  I was wondering what you use to divide your tanks & where you get it?  I'm not sure if we will or not, but we have considered dividing tanks as we're out of room currently for tanks but never seem to be able to pass the Bettas without feeling that urge to buy a special one. I think we could have 100 of them and still feel that - dangerous going into petco...    Thanks again and I look forward to discussing our Bettas more.  I'm sure you have a million stories, being a more experienced Betta owner.
I just love both the males and females. They are a little different in personality though. The females are quite a bit more active and it seems to me at least, that they are not as delicate and stay healthy longer.  I had two males and 5 females (I recently lost my first male Phlox and I am still so sad about it). Now my other male is very sick too. I've had so many health problems with both of them. I just don't understand it. Only one of my females needed medical care. She was nearly dead with gill disease and bacterial infections when I got her. They gave her to me free because they didn't think she would live another day. I treated her and she survived. She became sick again a few weeks later and was again treated and survived. She is full of energy now and very healthy. The others have been healthy from day one. Even when they had torn and shredded fins from fighting (I kept them together for a few days until they started fighting and had to be separated) all I had to do was make sure they had clean water and their fins healed quickly with no medication at all. 
I see female Bettas at Petsmart all the time and they seem to be disappearing but I don't know if it's because people are buying them or they are dying in the cups waiting for a home.    I think people mostly buy them for community tanks because they are told fermales are not aggressive and will get along with other fish. Nothing could be further from the truth!! My females are FAARRR more aggressive than my males have ever been! I wouldn't trust any of them with other fish, not even Otos or Cories. My male Lava is sweet and gentle and I'd trust him with tankmates. The other male I lost, Phlox was also a sweet little teddy bear. My females are a lot of fun to watch. They are so mischevious and always up to something. They make me laugh all the time. It's a shame more people don't consider buying females as well as males. I'll probably always have some of both. Keeping two females in a divided 10 gallon tank works just great. They are playful neighbours as long as they can't jump over and fight each other.  As long as your divider reaches all the way to the top and is flush against the tank lid with no spaces at all for them to jump through they are fine. Some people make their own dividers (there is a thread at the top of the board called "divided tanks" that will explain how) or you can buy them at your lfs. Here is a link to the dividers I use which I bought at Petsmart:

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From what I've seen of Bettas, I'd agree totally. Before we got Aslan we bought a new tank & everything for 4 female Bettas as my wife's Valentines Day present - the 'aquarium expert' at our Petco saying "oh sure, females are less aggressive & you can put 4 in a tank no problem." Oh wow.. what a time we had! After a couple days of fighting it, we had to return 3 to the store, keeping the blue who'd suffered a bit of fin damage. We nursed her back to health and gave her as a gift to a friend who wanted a 1st Betta. The experience temporarily soured us on the females we'd picked up & my wife decided to get a male Betta for her present. Didn't take long for us to want a female again, this time in her own tank having learned better about the myths of happy, happy, joy, joy female Betta community tanks and when I saw Angel, well that was that. And she is the most active, healthy Betta we have as well as the fastest learner and biggest attention hound. If only more people knew how wonderful they are - we're sure to mention it to anyone we know considering a Betta, even have done so with shoppers at Petco.

I understand how you feel about Phlox.. I think we'll always miss our little Mario. You can get a new Betta, but you can't replace one. They give us great times & memories and we give them the best lives we can so we take comfort in that and in loving new Bettas. Mario was a sickly fish, but he looked right at my wife & won a home.. made it 2 months fighting constipation, a rough case of fin rot and finally the sudden dropsy attack that took him. We're learning though and admire what you did with that female. Someday, what we'd like to do is have a "rescue tank" and use it to take a sick betta out of the LFS prison they're in and do our best to nurse them to health, then find them a good home (preferrably with a new Betta owner - pass that Betta Bug along). When that day comes, be ready - you'll probably will be fielding questions from us.

Sadly, we see MANY dead females in the cups at our Petco. It always makes us sad to see & feel like taking over the aquarium dept there to run it the right way. Thanks for the link to the dividers.. we don't have a Petsmart here, but will check one in Denver when we are out there. I love our Bettas & don't want them to suffer with the result of my attempt to make one myself.

Our little Sora is like Lava & Phlox.. he doesn't even get fired up at a mirror and actually seems to miss his corys if we take them out. We're sorry to hear about Lava - what's wrong with the little guy?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I started a new thread about Lava called "Lava is sick again... still" explaining my problems with him. It's baffling. One minute he seems okay and then he's not. Just now as I was writing this he woke up after sleeping in his corner all day looking sick and he started wiggling and begging for food. He zoomed to the bottom of the tank using every bit of energy he has even though his swim bladder problem just makes him float right back to the top.  It's like he's trying to show mommy that he's okay. He knows it makes me happy to see him swim like that but I can clearly see it is very difficult for him.    The hardest thing is not knowing exactly what's wrong with him. It would be easier to treat him with the right meds if I knew. I am just trying to cover all bases and treat him for a variety of gram positive, gram negative bacterial infections and parasitic diseases. I just can't bare to lose him too after Phlox. I was so distraught after Phlox died I took two days off work.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
I started a new thread about Lava called "Lava is sick again... still" explaining my problems with him. It's baffling. One minute he seems okay and then he's not. Just now as I was writing this he woke up after sleeping in his corner all day looking sick and he started wiggling and begging for food. He zoomed to the bottom of the tank using every bit of energy he has even though his swim bladder problem just makes him float right back to the top. It's like he's trying to show mommy that he's okay. He knows it makes me happy to see him swim like that but I can clearly see it is very difficult for him. The hardest thing is not knowing exactly what's wrong with him. It would be easier to treat him with the right meds if I knew. I am just trying to cover all bases and treat him for a variety of gram positive, gram negative bacterial infections and parasitic diseases. I just can't bare to lose him too after Phlox. I was so distraught after Phlox died I took two days off work.
Yea.. we were like that when we lost Mario. People think they're "just fish", but we feel they have all the character, etc. of any pet and it's our bond with a pet, whatever it is, that makes losing any pet just as hard. When we get back from our trip next month, I'm going to try to devote some real time to studying Betta health and learn all I can about these things like "gram positive", "gram negative", etc. I almost wish we weren't going with it being a last minute trip and not being able to take our Bettas with us (especially MY betta Angel) but my wife hasn't seen her family in years so I guess I'll just have to sneak Angel on the plane. They probably won't give us enough food to satisfy her appetite though.

Did you post a thread on the FF Diseases forum? Maybe some of the people who frequent it will recognize Lava's symptoms & get you a more definite idea what he needs to get back to 100%. Sounds like he's a little fighter & got the best care he can ask for, so he'll pull through.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom