Help Identifying Little White Worms

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello, can someone kindly help on this problem I have, earlier today I notice small white worms in my tank after I was finished doing a water change and I then same a few swimming in the tank, are they a harmful? Do they do anything at all and how do they get in my tank, and how do I get rid of them? Please help.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alphafish98 said:
hello, can someone kindly help on this problem I have, earlier today I notice small white worms in my tank after I was finished doing a water change and I then same a few swimming in the tank, are they a harmful? Do they do anything at all and how do they get in my tank, and how do I get rid of them? Please help.
Do you have a picture of them? There are many little white worms in the hobby. Most common would be Planeria aka Flatworms. Its cause is overfeeding.
What size tank do you have?
What fish are in it?
Heated? Filtered?
Cycled?
What maintenance do you do on the tank?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alphafish98 said:
Just took a picture I just notice them today, and sorry about the photo it’s hard to see them.
That looks like white worms. Do you feed live food?

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
No, just fish flakes, fish pellets, freeze bloodworms and rarely brine shrimp. And every now and then cucumbers for my snails that I have in there and that’s just it, I’ve been cutting down on food for them. So idk if it’s because of over feeding or not.

bryangar said:
And they are white but what are white worms ?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alphafish98 said:
And they are white but what are white worms ?
Oh okay, usually planeria and detritus worms are confused to being the same thing. It’s really hard to tell the difference without a microscope but detritus worms are usually alot longer. Which looks like what you do have. Detritus worms are not bad to have as long as you keep the population under control. They will decompose any leftover food and waster that falls into the gravel. I found this article about them. Check it out.

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
Oh okay, usually planeria and detritus worms are confused to being the same thing. It’s really hard to tell the difference without a microscope but detritus worms are usually alot longer. Which looks like what you do have. Detritus worms are not bad to have as long as you keep the population under control. They will decompose any leftover food and waster that falls into the gravel. I found this article about them. Check it out.
Oh thank you so much for all this help today, I just wanna make sure my pets are fine at all times and that everything is okay, so will I just have to do water changes like twice a week, because I’m always doing 50% a week

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alphafish98 said:
Oh thank you so much for all this help today, I just wanna make sure my pets are fine at all times and that everything is okay, so will I just have to do water changes like twice a week, because I’m always doing 50% a week
If you want to get rid of them, then yes. Using a gravel vacuum would help with removing them from the gravel. Don’t gravel vac every water change, Itll probably take a while to remove them, depending on your tank size.

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
If you want to get rid of them, then yes. Using a gravel vacuum would help with removing them from the gravel. Don’t gravel vac every water change, Itll probably take a while to remove them, depending on your tank size.
It’s a 5.5 gallon tank.

bryangar said:
So it’s okay for them to be in my tank?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alphafish98 said:
So it’s okay for them to be in my tank?
Yes, They won’t cause any problems as long as you don’t over feed. I’m guessing you have a betta in there? Since bettas are insectivores, when they pop their heads out, the betta will probably eat them.

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
Yes, They won’t cause any problems as long as you don’t over feed. I’m guessing you have a betta in there? Since bettas are insectivores, when they pop their heads out, the betta will probably eat them.
Yea I got a Betta and some ADF too.

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alphafish98 said:
I’ve looked up a little and some are sayings they’re detritus worms idk if that’s what they are or not
They look like detritus worms that are unsightly but ok in a tank. They break down fish and other waste hence their name. Planaria or flat worms are thicker and less tubular like these

Flat worms are a bit different as they are carnivores and can harm your fish and inverts. Here’s what they would look like on your glass as seen on a microscope slide.

Attachments

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ELON MOLLUSK said:
They look like detritus worms that are unsightly but ok in a tank. They break down fish and other waste hence their name. Planaria or flat worms are thicker and less tubular like these

Flat worms are a bit different as they are carnivores and can harm your fish and inverts. Here’s what they would look like on your glass as seen on a microscope slide.
From what I seen there not really long and they’re not really thick either. But I also see smaller dot like creatures that jump everywhere do you know what those are?

hello, can someone please help me identify these type of creatures they look like small white tadpoles but idk if they are they jump around like fleas and there very tiny idk if they are some type of shrimp or not and I need to know if they are harmful or not. There everywhere on my class and gravel, and they’re very tiny. Please help.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can't quite see them in the picture. Look up freshwater skuds on google to confirm. If they are skuds, they are actually benefical and should be left in the aquarium.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They look like classic copepods, and the movement pattern you describe fits that. Nothing harmful.
Edit: skuds are often a good bit larger.

Alphafish98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
They look like classic copepods, and the movement pattern you describe fits that. Nothing harmful
Yea I don’t think they’re scuds whatever that is too small from what I looked up they have like a tri shaped body

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Does it look like they have little "ears" and a tail?
Edit: look at copepods or maybe even seed shrimp

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom